Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to install Windows 7 with Bootcamp on my Macbook with a faulty CD drive

I am trying to install Windows 7 with Bootcamp on my Macbook A1278 (OS 10.6.8) with a faulty CD drive (CDs and DVDs get stuck in it and I had to get it removed in an Apple store, so I don't want to use it anymore). I have got a licence for the product but I am only in possession of the ISO, is there any way to install it using a USB stick?

I don't have many options while launching Bootcamp, only
"Download the Windows support software for this Mac" but when I try I get a message explaining me that the download could not continue as the software is not available,

or

"I have the Mac OS X installation disc [...]" but obviously I can't use my CD drive so this is not an option. I tried it anyway and I created a Windows partition but when asked to "start the Windows installer", I can only continue by insering a CD.

I tried to use a USB stick and added the ISO on it but nothing has changed.

How can I install my copy on Windows?...

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), faulty CD drive

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 2:29 PM

5 replies

Mar 17, 2014 4:52 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

The internal optical drive is not working on my computer, and that is why I was looking for another option with a USB stick for example. I have seen videos on where it was said I could create an install disk with a bootable USB drive for Windows installation, but I don't have the option on my Bootcamp. Is it because of different versions of Bootcamp or do I have to unable the internal drive somewhere?

Mar 17, 2014 6:24 PM in response to chibiyay

chibiyay wrote:

The internal optical drive is not working on my computer, and that is why I was looking for another option with a USB stick for example. I have seen videos on where it was said I could create an install disk with a bootable USB drive for Windows installation, but I don't have the option on my Bootcamp. Is it because of different versions of Bootcamp or do I have to unable the internal drive somewhere?

It's because you have an internal optical drive.

Mar 18, 2014 2:36 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman > Hem, yeah, that is stating the problem and not working toward resolving it.

Turbostar > I checked the link and it seems to be relating to the first video I have seen on the subject. I tried to install Tuxera then to work with rEFIt, but I did not get any result yet (I don't know if I am doing something wrong during the USB writing process as many different ways are explained on different websites).

So far my last try was to launch Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool on VMware Fusion but it the only disk shown is A:\ Removable disk (not the name of my USB) and it is stated that the disk is being used by another program, even though it's not open on the Mac side.

Some websites are advising to write the copy of windows on a USB via a PC and then launch it on the Macbook, so I might try that in the next few days. I will keep you updated.

If anyone has another option I might not have think about, or an advice on how to efficiently create a bootable Windows setup USB with my Mac, please let me know!

Trying to install Windows 7 with Bootcamp on my Macbook with a faulty CD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.