Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open directory server crashing every 30 days / clients unable to connect to calendar, contacts server

Hello everyone,

I am running an up to date Mavericks Server which serves exclusively as a calendar and contacts server for about two dozens devices. The server is reachable via DynDNS, however, the public IP hardly ever changes (only once or twice a year maybe). Tried setting the OS X DNS Server to serve "all clients" and "some clients".

For about 6 months (i.e. also under Mountain Lion), I am having a very strange problem. Roughly every 20-30 days, clients will not be able to connect to the server, instead getting a "wrong password" dialog. Restarting the open directory server will help for the next 30 days.

I have tried repairing the database as detailed here, however, the issue persists.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

I would have tried setting up a clean server installation, migrating calendars/contacts manually and re-adding all users by hand, however, I am not aware of an easy way to do so. The terminal command for calendar backup is broken under mavericks (might work with this workaround) and re-adding users manually would apparently involve correcting user UUIDs afterwards in order to match the migrated calendar data. Do you know of a better approach?

Thanks a lot!

DPSG-Scout

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 2:41 PM

11 replies

Mar 18, 2014 4:47 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have uploaded an opendirectory log which contains some strange entries. This was about the time my clients were not able to connect anymore.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6gcwlhm3zbpkvc/opendirectoryd.log

Unfortunately, log files are a little bit beyond my comprehension. Is this log file useful or should I look for something else?

Thanks a lot!

DPSG-Scout

Message was edited by: DPSG-Scout

Mar 18, 2014 7:41 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

This looks the most relevant to me:

opendirectory.log

2014-03-11 11:13:09.460675 CET - 333.2628758.2628759 - Client: Python, UID: 93, EUID: 93, GID: 93, EGID: 93

2014-03-11 11:13:09.460675 CET - 333.2628758.2628759, Node: /Local/Default, Module: PlistFile - predicates with 'AND' are not supported

2014-03-11 12:09:00.296514 CET - State information (some requests have been active for extended period):

Sessions: {

28 -- opendirectoryd:

- {

Session ID: 7BFBA6FE-A968-4399-A129-E3A5945E2A81

Refs: singleton

Type: Default

Target: localhost

}

}

Nodes: {

43 -- authd:

- {

Node ID: 6D0E236D-6DBD-4E8C-BC01-B3F50C2C2D8E

Nodename: /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1

Session ID: <Default>

Refs: 1

Internal Use: X

an many more similar ones…

Thanks for your effort!

Mar 18, 2014 3:20 PM in response to Linc Davis

ls -l /var/log/slapd.log

-rw-r----- 1 root admin 0 Dec 19 16:56 /private/var/log/slapd.log

Opened slapd.log with "sudo pico" to make sure it's not a permissions issue. Totally empty. Finder says zero bytes.

I am just thinking of some more info which might be useful: I am running the OS X Server installation inside a virtual machine in order to keep the system separated from the host (2012 quad core iMac) and have snapshots (doesn't help in this case though). Originally, I used Parallels Desktop, however, every month or so clients would not be able to connect anymore (just like now). They didn't even get a "wrong password" dialog. Instead, the Server.app would not open anymore and I had to restart OS X Server. After a reboot, the Server.app CPU stats showed a period with 0% CPU activity starting at the moment the server froze and ending with the reboot. I contributed this to Parallels Desktop 9 (maybe related to app nap, though disabling app nap didn't help) and migrated the entire VM to VMware fusion 6. Since then, the server wouldn't "freeze" anymore (no 0% CPU), yet once a month I am still having a similar issue as described in my initial post.

Mar 18, 2014 4:24 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well, OS X inside Parallels or VMware normally behaves just fine, so I don't think running OS X Server inside a VM should be a problem per se. I could image though that the OS X Server installation or opendirectory database is screwed up for whatever reason.

Do you think migrating calendars/contacts using the command line (suppose I can get this working with the workaround linked above), manually adding the users and adjusting the UUIDs afterwards could give me a working calendar server?

Or do you know of a better idea for starting with a clean installation or at least re-create the opendirectory database?

Open directory server crashing every 30 days / clients unable to connect to calendar, contacts server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.