Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

H.264 into FCP convert to Apple ProRes?

Hello -

I'm attempting to find out how to go about importing a H.264 movie file into my AppleProRes based project and

edit a small video and audio section into it, then re-export it for the purposes of lining it up with a separate mix - all of this is to be

screened in two days.

At first I thought I could just cut the H.264 file, render and export that - but it needs a bit of time to render

and then I thought - should I convert the footage and how should I convert the footage?

Any ideas? The reason behind all of this is to save time with a smaller (4 gig file = H.264) as opposed to my original 136 gig file.

There's no time to go back to the original to make small changes.

Every and any idea is appreaciated!

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), FCP 7.0.3, Processor 2.8 GHz Intel

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 5:40 PM

Yes, you need to convert the footage. FCP Classic (7 and earlier) doesn't work with H.264 well at all...and one of the potential issues is SYNC, so yeah, you need to convert first.

Compressor will do this, as will MPEG STREAMCLIP. But compressor is easy...drag and drop a setting.

NOTE: The file size of the clips will increase dramatically...they will get VERY big compared to the originals. But Compressor and MPEG STREAMCLIP allow you to set IN and OUT points.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2014 5:40 PM in response to Bempa

Yes, you need to convert the footage. FCP Classic (7 and earlier) doesn't work with H.264 well at all...and one of the potential issues is SYNC, so yeah, you need to convert first.

Compressor will do this, as will MPEG STREAMCLIP. But compressor is easy...drag and drop a setting.

NOTE: The file size of the clips will increase dramatically...they will get VERY big compared to the originals. But Compressor and MPEG STREAMCLIP allow you to set IN and OUT points.

Mar 17, 2014 6:11 PM in response to Shane Ross

Thanks Shane! My file is in the process of going through MPEG as I write this, although I can't afford for the file

to be bigger - ugh! I need to convert, edit, export and then compress the whole movie - wishing it was all under 4 gigs . . . is there any way to control/accomplish this and keep the size of the converted footage down?

Mar 17, 2014 6:15 PM in response to Bempa

Yes...don't use FCP 7. Use an editing app that best fits your needs. Adobe Premiere Pro will work with the files natively no converting. Import...edit...export/compress. UNDER 4GBs?

The final export you mean, right? not ALL of the files you intend to edit...right? Compressing the camera masters even more, to take up less space than they do now...will really make the image yucky.

Sorry, but FCP needs to work with FCP editing codecs...ProRes is the best bet. ProRes PROXY is the lightest, but still more than your originals. It cannot work with H>264...you'll have lots of problems in the edit, or the export.

Mar 17, 2014 6:37 PM in response to Shane Ross

Hi again,

I only have FCP 7, so I have no choice. I was attempting to cut corners with a few minor tweaks in a

feature length movie (adding one credit) . . . so I thought I could import my 4 gig (the unworkable H.264) version of the movie into FCP, edit a credit in, then re-export and compress it all into the same 4 gig file size. All of this is an attempt to save time on the export/compress side. Otherwise I need nearly 24 hours to export and compress a feature, just to add one credit.

My MPEG is still converting - so I'll see if this is more manageable!

🙂 As always, thanks for your help Shane!!

H.264 into FCP convert to Apple ProRes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.