Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaserJet 2100 & Mavericks printing issue

I installed a new hard drive on my macbook pro and had Mavericks installed at the Apple store. Now I can't get my HP Laserjet 2100 to print. It prints %!PS-Adobe-3.0 Query user direct(\004)can{(\004) print flush}put %%?BeginFeatureQuery, then blank pages.?.? I've installed the latest drivers, or at least I think I did, but nothing has helped

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 4:44 PM

18 replies

Mar 18, 2014 10:53 AM in response to wesmundy

Hi Sorry that I'm not able to help but I'm posting as I have a very similar problem. I have a new iMac with Mavericks (OS X 10.9.2). My HP Laserjet 2100 is connected to it using a Parallel Port to USB connection. The iMac recognised the printer, appears to have the right drivers, and printed a few documents when I first connected it up. Now, however, it just prints out %!PS-Adobe-3.0 %APL_DSC_Encoding:UTF8 % APLProducer: (Version 10.9.2 (Build 13C6 and then blank pages. Does anybody have a solution to this? Apple, do you?

Mar 26, 2014 10:42 PM in response to wesmundy

Hi guys, the solution to all your problems (I have the same printer) is:

1. Go to system preferences, printers & scanners

2. Delete the current Laserjet 2100 printer using the minus sign below the list of printers

3. Use the plus sign to add the printer again but this time:

4. Name the printer what you like, location as well or leave that blank

5. In the "Use" field, choose "Generic PCL Printer"

whats going on is:

- the HP driver is only valid for OS X 10.7 as the latest os it supports

- the driver does default to PostScript level 2 which is what the printer has

- mavericks is attempting to send the printer postscript level 3 which the printer can't understand, the printer is too old 😟

- I can't find a way of forcing mavericks to use postscript level 2, even if choosing the "Generic Postscript Printer" driver

LImitations of the generic PCL driver is that you can only get it to do a max of 600 DPI, so graphics will look yuck if you're used to 1200DPI.

Mar 27, 2014 6:08 PM in response to NYRangersFanW

Yep, that's where you should be. Is you printer connected to the mac using a parallel port to USB like SSBfromGB has? If so, make sure the printer is plugged in and then turn it on. An entry for the printer should appear in that window. My LJ2100 is connected via a JetDirect box so it's effectively a network printer but I have tried the usb connection method with another printer I have.

If your LJ2100 has an inbuilt network card, or is using a JetDirect box, we have some extra info needed to get it working, so reply back with your connection type, and if it's USB-connected, does it appear after doing the above?

Mar 29, 2014 7:59 AM in response to SilverSkyRat

Glad to hear 🙂

FYI, a technical correction: it turns out our particular printers (not all LaserJet 2100 though) don't support postscript, otherwise HP's drivers would have worked. They do, obviously support Printer Control Language (PCL), up to version 6 depending on the model, which is why PCL 5 works but the HP driver only seems to do postscript. 🙂

LaserJet 2100 & Mavericks printing issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.