Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I print using Dell b1160w laser printer?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 5:46 PM

4 replies

Mar 17, 2014 10:17 PM in response to suzytalk

This article, "OS X: Printer and Scanner Software Available for Download", lists no Dell printers at all.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

Therefore, this paragraph from the above article applies:

If the printer or scanner does not appear in the list below, visit the device manufacturer's web site or contact the manufacturer to find out if software is available for Mac OS X v10.6 or later. If software for the printer is not available but the printer supports a common printer language such as PostScript or PCL, you may be able to perform basic printing functions using the Generic PostScript or PCL drivers available from the "Print Using" pop-up menu when adding a printer.

Nov 10, 2014 12:09 PM in response to suzytalk

Hi,

I just purchased one of those B1160 Dell/Samsung clone printers. I am connecting it to a BTHub4- modem into the usb port with IP 192.168.1.253 and shall see if it works.

That will be tomorrow when it arrives. Then use the WiFi network to print.

If it doesn't work I have a fallback solution for later:

Buy a printer server Trendnet TE100-MFP1 and use it to connect printer via the ethernet port on the modem.

The printer drivers for the Mac can be found on the Dell ftp but be aware that there is a fault in one of the installers and it will stop after the license agreement. There is a blank empty plugin in the installer package which has to be removed. Email me for details.

I used the Samsung ML2165 driver to be found on their website and that had the same bug but when it crashed it gives the choice to crash or to continue.

I continued and it installed the software and driver perfectly well.

I wil post tomorrow again with my results...😮😉

At 39GBP that printer is not a bad deal and it is aSamsung: I don't care what happens to Dell, really.

TE100-MFP1

TE100-MFP1

Nov 12, 2014 7:09 AM in response to suzytalk

Here is the outcome of my research and money spent:

1. direct printer connection to BThub USB port does not work at all.

2. Connected via Trendnet TE100-MFP1 ethernet usb printer hub.

Many problems found: their software USB control centre is completely unstable and useless.

Finally I copied and pastes the two kext files in their installer package (non Apple Installer, but some cloned thing from Windows)

Got it working by doing the following:

1. download their usb control software
  2. right click show contents
  3. find folder called root and subfolder called Library and copy both kext files and paste them into /Library/Extensions
  4. install their package
  5. connect printer to mac usb and install it as normal under system prefs
  6. reconnect printer to the Trendnet TE100-MFP1 usb port
  7. run their usb control centre and keep telling it to reopen if it crashes
  8. click on autoselect printer
  9. choose the dell b1160 as auto connect printer (you may have to remove first and then add in the window that opens)
  10. Finally check in system prefs if printer can print a test page

Best of luck to anybody who has made the same mistake....😝

Sorry about the font salad , due to copy and paste

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.