Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost grain?

I'm working on a short film in FCP7 and added a bit of grain to my shots to make them feel less like video. I'm using the Nattress Film Effects plugin. The grain looks great in FCP, as does the movie I export from the sequence. However something seems to happen in either Compressor or DVD Studio Pro that causes the grain to disappear. When I play back my burned DVD it looks like smooth video again -- no noticeable grain. My only thought is that I'm burning a standard def disc and the grain is so fine that such details/subtlties are simply lost, but I'm not sure if that is the case.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas what might be happening? Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 8:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 7:04 AM

What I'd do is make some tests with short clips, with varying amounts of grain added. Start small to bigger and bigger. Compress and take a look. No need to burn a coaster, just lok at the mpeg2 file.

Funny though, I never heard of video getting better when squashed down to dvd...

4 replies

Mar 19, 2014 1:32 PM in response to sjdewalt

Not to solve the lost grain question, but more to the "I don't want it to look like video" point, I find two things useful.

- Address the Gamma. You need something like Nattress's Film look tools or use Color to stretch the color and luma distribution into a film S curve. Dealing with this goes a long way to changing the "video" look.

- The other thing that sets video apart from "film" is the frame rate. Video usually looks much smoother due to the higher 60 fields per second or 30 progressive frames per second recording rate. The 24p fps frame rate of film has an immediate visual impact. If you go that direction, use Compressor and set the retiming setting in Frame Tools to Better (not best) as a start. Best does yield slightly better images. However, they may not be noticably improved and they come at a really significant computational time increase.

Of course, well lit, well recorded material can be pushed and pulled much more effectively. It's really hard to do much with murky or over exposed material.

Have fun.

x

Lost grain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.