Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 screen becomes discolored and freezes?

Recently, my iphone's screen has started becoming discolored- the images change to purple and green hues, then the screen becomes unresponsive, and fades to black. Actually it looks like this person had the same issue as me:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5558947?searchText=Iphone%205%20screen%20 discoloration%20and%20freez#23780065

This only happens occassionally, and I noticed that it happened more when my phone heated up, like if I was using a high powered app. But now I can't recreate the problem, and I already ordered a new iphone under my apple warranty! I KNOW the issue is there, I even recorded a video of it for proof. But I don't want to send this back to apple and have them charge me the $800 for the new phone, because they see nothing wrong with it... how does apple usually handle issues like this under warranties?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 10:22 PM

6 replies

Jan 7, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Nisylla

I did just contact apple support and they had me restore the iphone 5 but the problem continued until i found another forum which suggested lowering the brightness & putting the phone in an otter box. Apparently static is an issue which makes sense since this problem began as soon as the weather turned cold & it is noticeably worse when removing from my pocket. My phone stays on longer and I am running to get an otter box which is a lot cheaper than paying apple service for a non-warranty repair. Try the brightness reduction and get an otter box. Good luck!

Dec 21, 2016 6:59 PM in response to aancede

This hasn't been the issue with the phone I have. It doesn't seem to be weather related at all.

I did a factory reset. I put the phone in an Otterbox. I turned the brightness down.

The only thing that has somewhat helped is turning the brightness down.

Factory reset did not work.

Blowing in the SIM Card door which some have suggested didn't work.

A reset of everything from Settings-->General-->Reset didn't work.

Some people have had luck with replacing the screen.

Some people seem to have had to replace the screen multiple times and it doesn't help.

I just don't know what really does work.

Iphone 5 screen becomes discolored and freezes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.