Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 MBP Won't Restart after Update

I'm right now working on a 2010 MBP running Mountain Lion. I just installed a recent security update from the app store, and was prompted to restart the computer. Everything went fine until the actual restart, when I heard a loud beep and now all I get is a black screen as if the display isn't even on. I see a light at the bottom of the mac and hear the HD spinning, but there's no indication other than that that the computer works at all. I've held down the power button for 10 seconds to turn it off, and it all shuts down, and when I turn it back on, the same thing happens but with no beep. I hear everything start, see the light at the base of the macbook, and there's no display. Caps-Lock doesn't even turn green when I press it, there's no light there, so I have no indication of how far it is getting on the boot process.

Any tips at all for what I can do to fix this computer?

Edit: SMC Reset didn't solve the problem. Also, I'm living in China with no access to an apple store so I really don't have any options for bringing the computer to them.

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 11:39 PM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2014 9:41 PM in response to Melophage

Okay, I've tried that now and it doesn't help. I plugged it up to a monitor using the minidv port (or whatever it's called) converted to HDMI then to a monitor. Nothing.

HOWEVER... I tried a command I entirely forgot about until I read about it somewhere else online. I zapped the PRAM using command+option+R+P. After doing that, it started up normally again. Success!

Thanks for your help and ideas!

2010 MBP Won't Restart after Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.