Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to use my time capsule connected directly to my imac.

I already have a wireless router that I use with my iMac and other devices. I have a Timecapsule that I bought to use as a backup device and as a wireless router, but it won't keep a connection. How do I use the Time Capsule with Time Machine as "just" an external hard drive without it interfering with my current wireless network?

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen)

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 4:18 AM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2014 1:20 PM in response to johnway2

The best way to do this is simply plug the TC into the existing router by ethernet.

Set the TC to bridge mode.. you can also turn off wireless if you like.

The TC is then available as network drive to the network.

If you want to use the TC plugged by ethernet into the Mac directly, that is also possible but really a waste.. let me recommend you return the TC as unsuitable for use, and simply buy a USB3 external hard disk.. it is cheaper, faster and more reliable as a backup device than the TC.

If you really want to keep the TC.. spell out the problem.

but it won't keep a connection

How did you set it up? If it is unfit for use then it should go back. Not all network setups work with the TC.

Mar 23, 2014 6:16 PM in response to LaPastenague

I have had this TC for several years. It worked fine for a while and we used it as our primary wireless router, but then we started losing our wifi signal on a regular basis and we had to reset the TC to get the wifi signal working again. Also, even when the wifi was working, the TM daily backup would stop working and say that there was an error. I don't recall what the specific error was.

We ended up buying a new wireless router and the TC has been gathering dust. So I'm going to try hooking it to the existing router and see if that works.

I have also never been able to fins good documentation on how to put the TC in bridge mode / turn off wireless, etc.

I'll try again and see what I can find.

Thanks for the reply.

Mar 23, 2014 6:59 PM in response to johnway2

Much depends on the version of the utility you use.. but you are correct that the main documentation is well out of date.

Most of these things are supposed to happen without your needing to know anything.. ie the apple utility has a built in setup wizard is is supposed to get it right 100% of the time..

Not surprisingly this doesn't actually work more than about 66% of the time and even then can still prefer the wrong setup over the right one.

So click on edit.. and go into the manual setup.

User uploaded file

Go to the Internet tab and choose dhcp.

User uploaded file

Go to the Network tab and choose off (bridge mode).

User uploaded file

Go to the wireless tab and choose whatever you want.

User uploaded file

I want to use my time capsule connected directly to my imac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.