Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems installing Win 8.1 on OS X 10.9

I have a new MBA 11inch with 10.9 updated to 10.9.2 since yesterday.

I tried to install Win 8.1., started Bootcamp assistent, downloaded the drivers, partitioned and went on.

It was weird OS X launched and not windows setup. The bootcamp partition ist visible in OS X.

I started the bootloaded manually and selected the windows DVD. In the setup I have the problem that windows says that it cannot be installed because the partition is GPT and has to be NTFS.

I'm afraid a bit to partition to NTFS with the windows setup because I fear it will mess up the OS X bootloader.

Does someone have a suggestion?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 4:33 AM

18 replies

Mar 18, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Jorge_el_presidente

You are likely not following the Boot Camp instructions located here: http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

As already suggested, start again. Start Boot Camp Assistant and select the option to remove Windows/Boot Camp and return the drive to a single partition. Then run Boot Camp Assistant, select the menu option to print, then read, then follow the instructions.During the process after you will be presented with a menu item to format the Boot Camp partition, do so.

Back up your drive before you restart the process in case something goes wrong. You don't want to lose your OSX data.

Mar 18, 2014 7:22 AM in response to Jorge_el_presidente

yes, but this will erase your bootcamp partition completely, which will not affect your mac at all so not to be concerned there. if you are happy to do this, this is what to do;

1) open disc utility and select your hdd (the long branded name, not the short name) click on "partition" then highlight the bootcamp partition by clicking on it.

2) click the minus sign then click apply.

3) there will now be a thin divider line where the partition was, drag this down to the bottom, click apply.

4) now restart, proceed again with bootcamp assistant with a fresh install.

Mar 18, 2014 7:30 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I think you misunderstood me:

As I said it makes no difference:

- I started the Bootcamp assistent again

- I erased the Win Partition and merged it with the Mac partition

- I partitioned again

And it's the same result. Again and again.

The Bootcamp partition is GPT and for this reason Win cannot be installed. When I try to format it new in the Win setup there comes the Windows Wait-symbol and it disappears after some seconds but the partition is not formated.

Mar 18, 2014 12:51 PM in response to tug-

Because he will be up and running in 2 hours.

It's the difference between trying to understand what went wrong vs fix it.

If he, you are in the former camp that's fine, my POV comes from being firmly in the latter. I'd much rather be up and running again in 2 hours vs waiting (so far +4 hours and counting as of his last post ...) for a solution.

Problems installing Win 8.1 on OS X 10.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.