Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Mavericks onto empty MacBook Air

I would like to install Mavericks on my completly erased MacBook Air, meaning that when it boots up, you see the folder with a question mark. I tried making a bootable Mavericks installer with DiskMakerX, but since the system was originally running OSX Snow Leopard, it does not work. It said that the disk you are trying to install is corrupted or has been damaged. I also tried making an installer through Terminal, but that failed too. Any suggestions? And, would just buying a Snow Leopard disc and go through the installing via the Mac App Store be easier?

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 4:40 AM

6 replies

Mar 18, 2014 4:50 AM in response to PTLProduction

What model is your Macbook Air? It must be fairly early since you were running Snow Leopard. Is your MBA capable of running Mavericks? Check here to see if it meet the requirements

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842

If it does NOT, you will need a DVD player and a disc from Apple. You should call apple or visit an apple store, they may be able to help you there.

I'm surprised you could download the Mavericks installer with that Mac. When you started the download it should have stopped saying "your mac can't install this". How did you get the installer?

Mar 18, 2014 2:22 PM in response to PTLProduction

If your installer is good (verify against mine below), and you have a 8GB USB formatted as mac extended journaled with GUID for the bootsector. Then it should work. I prefer the command line method myself....wait for it to complete

User uploaded file

The command line assumes the installer in the apps folder and the USB volume is titled "Untitled"

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Install Mavericks onto empty MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.