Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating Network User

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to create a network user account in the Server App. I'm in the "Users" pane, and I don't see an option to create a new network user. Upon choosing "create new user", there isn't an option to make anything other than a local account for the server.

I have Open Directory turned on, and I have the server bound to the open directory server that I have set up.

What am I missing?

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 8:00 AM

1 reply

Mar 18, 2014 6:55 PM in response to Hal Atkins

I have something very similar. Runiing a mini server on 10.9.2 and Server 3.0.

I have a small network: server has 2 local accounts and there are about 10 network users. Not sure when, but all my network users are now showing their Home Folder location as "Custom". Clicking on the drop down menu shows only 2 additional choices, "Local only" and the name of an external disk connected to the server.Trying to create a new user gives the following choices for home folder: Local only, the external hard drive and None, Services only. Network user is not part of the choices given.

The Mini startup disk has all the accounts I had created before, the 2 local accounts and home folders for each of my network users. Would very much like to get a few hints as to how this can be fixed.

Creating Network User

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.