Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I play games on classic environment?

Hello!

I'm trying to run classic environment on my iMac so that I can play a 1996 game, Zork Nemesis, and I have found something that seems to work but it's WAY to technical in what I need to get it to work and what the installation process is. Can you please help?

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 8:54 AM

2 replies

Mar 18, 2014 11:22 AM in response to matthewep

Many games you could technically make a .smi file of the CDs with Disk Copy for Mac OS 9 and mount the .smi file so it can access the CD content. Classic (meaning using Mac OS 9 on top of Mac OS X without having to reboot) doesn't do a very good job of working with games that require multiple CDs unless they are all mounted as images that are mounted at once. If you have the one DVD version you are in better shape.

If there are graphics chip requirements, you may have better luck running it in Windows, if you have an Intel Mac, or running on a Mac OS 9 boot on your Mac. The problem is that many such games have graphics chip requirements which Classic does not do a very good job of supporting. There is a Windows 95 version of the same game.

Note: Classic is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.5, but you can dual boot on certain Mac OS 10.5 and Mac OS 9:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1757

how do I play games on classic environment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.