Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My movie file won't transfer to another computer

I edited a video for someone in Final Cut Express. I exported it as a movie file and put it on my flash drive to transfer to her computer. The file that I put on my flash drive will play on my computer, but when I transfer it to her computer it loads for a long time and never plays. I also tried putting the video on Dropbox but it doesn't play on there either. The file is too big to email. Is there something wrong with my file or another way that I can transfer it to her? We both have Macs, hers is newer than mine. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Final Cut Server

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 1:38 PM

Hello Rachel,

did you export it as a Reference File, or as a self-contained file (checkbox on the lower left of the export window). A reference file needs access to the original, captured raw footage, in the same location as it was in when you did the export.

If you move a Reference File to a new computer, it will of course not have access to those files, and will not be able to play.

Self-contained files will be very large, however. To reduce their size, use Export using Quicktime compression…

Horst

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2014 1:38 PM in response to RachelNL

Hello Rachel,

did you export it as a Reference File, or as a self-contained file (checkbox on the lower left of the export window). A reference file needs access to the original, captured raw footage, in the same location as it was in when you did the export.

If you move a Reference File to a new computer, it will of course not have access to those files, and will not be able to play.

Self-contained files will be very large, however. To reduce their size, use Export using Quicktime compression…

Horst

My movie file won't transfer to another computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.