Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anyone tried "daisy-chain" 3 Airport/TC in a roaming network?

Currently, I have a TimeCapsule 2TB connected by Ethernet cable (Cat 5E, 1000Mb/s) to my Airport Extreme 802.11ac which is connected to my cable modem (Cisco). I´m thinking about extending the network by ethernet cable to floors down to extend the wireless in the basement. Has anyone any experience with "daisy-chaining" 3 Airport devices over Cat 5E cables?

Airport Extreme 802.11ac

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 1:53 PM

I have lots of setups like that working fine. Daisy chain is fine.. just make sure it cannot loop all the way back.

Cat5E is not as good as Cat6 but for most people and if installed correctly will work fine.. the Gigabit distance is more limited on 5E than 6 but for most houses you will never get close.

4 replies

Mar 18, 2014 2:01 PM in response to Lars Olaf

Ideally, you would not want to "daisy chain" devices. You would want to "home run" a separate Ethernet cable to each AirPort device that you want to use, and then connect them all back to your main router.....or to a central Ethernet "switch".

This makes troubleshooting any problems much easier.

"Daisy chaining" will work......but let's say that you have AirPort 1 connected to AirPort 2 connected to AirPort 3. If AirPort 1 has a problem, then AirPort 2 and AirPort 3 will also have a problem.....but you will not know which device has the problem until you check #1, then go to #2, then go to #3.

When you "home run" the Ethernet cabling, AirPort 1 might have a problem, but AirPort 2 and AirPort 3 continue to operate normally.

So, if you can....."home run" the wiring as much as possible. Cabling is not very expensive and you will save yourself a lot of time if you have a problem.

As long as you are running cabling, use CAT6 rated cable.

Mar 18, 2014 11:34 PM in response to Lars Olaf

Yeah.. I agree with Bob.. at the same time.. I find if you use reliable equipment, then daisy chaining is not really a problem.. I must admit I also have too much gear to easily run enough cable.. so I have a 16port managed switch plus a standard 8 port in another room and an extreme in upstairs area.. at the moment if something goes down.. a fairly simple unplug and replug fixes it.. the managed switch shows which ports are running and I can quickly see it.. on the extreme you do have connectivity led so it is not too hard.

Has anyone tried "daisy-chain" 3 Airport/TC in a roaming network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.