You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1(11D167) ruined my iPhone 4S

I upgraded my iPhone 4S to ios 7.1(11D167) and now most apps won't start (e.g. Facebook, Waze, Viber, SlideShark).

When I click the apps it seems they try to start and then they just stop and phone goes back to the apps overview screen.

I have tried rebooting and also a "Reset All Settings" to no avail.

I try to connect the phone to my PC and iTunes however when I do that I get the following message:

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64-bit version of iTunes"

The iTunes version I have installed is indeed already the 64-bit version.

Any ideas what to do?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 3:05 PM

6 replies

Mar 18, 2014 3:18 PM in response to heinstacus

If you haven't already done so, download the latest iTunes. Then do a DFU restore. If your not sure how to do it, go to YouTube and do a search for dfu restore iPhone. It'll be easier to figure out how to do it thru YouTube. Once you do that you can try restoring from your back up (iTunes/iCloud).

If issues is still persistent you may have to restore it again and just start the phone up as a new phone and redone load those apps.

Mar 19, 2014 12:49 AM in response to heinstacus

thanks for your help.

The solution seems (somewhat embarrassing) simpler;

After restoring my phone using iTunes I noticed several apps were due an update (in App Store). After updating the apps they are all working... 😐

In my defense I am certain I had the apps set to auto update and there was no indication on the App Store icon that updates were due...

Apr 4, 2014 9:33 PM in response to heinstacus

My 4s is totally ruined from the update as well. It gave me the black screen of death, which faded to blueish white over a period of 4 hours. Then I was finally able to restore it from a backup from 2012... but I can't turn it off or let it die without it needing to be rebooted and it won't connect to my itunes in order to perform a new backup. I've read that turning your phone off and on will get your phone to connect... so I turned my phone off and now I need to reboot again, and keep getting messages that "an error occurred." Basically I'm stuck in an infinite loop of failure here. Feels like planned obsolescence.

iOS 7.1(11D167) ruined my iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.