Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My early 2009 Mini kept shutting down randomly, trying to reload Snow Leopard so I can donate to a local charity.

My early 2009 Mini kept shutting down randomly, so I bought a new iMac. I tried to reload Snow Leopard and erase the old data at the same time, but the process goes only so long and stops. Internal drive also doesn't work, so I'm trying to boot from an external drive. I also tried to load the original OS from the disk, but all I get is the Apple logo and spinning wheel. Would you think bad hard drive or other problem?

Thanks.

Mac mini (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 2:45 PM

14 replies

Mar 18, 2014 4:16 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BD, thank you for the reply.

It will not boot from the Snow Leopard disc, which I bought a few years ago and upgraded at that time.

I searched how to erase data and reboot, using the formatting instructions found here and elsewhere. Sometimes it will start the installation process, but after a period of time, showing 28 minutes remaining, it just stops doing anything. I have to hard shut down and try again.

Also tried with the original 2009 OS disk. First thing it asked was to reboot, then it came back and said it would test the DVD for compatibility, which took 30 minutes or so. But then it started installation and I though all was fine. but it also stopped with 27 minutes remaining.

I don't know enough to go into it or how to figure out what is causing the problem.

Previously, some days it would just shut of 10 or 12 times for no reason, then it would stay on for 4 or 5 days without shutting down. I thought it might be a temperature problem, but keeping an external fan on it didn't seem to work.

Mar 18, 2014 4:33 PM in response to Allan C.

1. Insert the original Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the Erase tab.

4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

6. Highlight the drive, select Partition Tab, then Format type... MacOS Extended Journalled, select the Security Options button, choose Zero Out Data, Erase, one pass... after completion hopefully you'll be able to get a good install.

Mar 18, 2014 5:08 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you, BD. I wasn't able to do that with the original Mac OS X disc, but did get to the 'erase' point with the Snow Leopard DVD. It's in process now. I had to hold the option key rather than the C, holding the C key did nothing.

As of this point, it reads there are 46 minutes left to write zeros.

I did this before, but maybe this time will be the charm. I'll let you know the results.

Thank you for your time and wisdom!

Allan.

Mar 18, 2014 5:56 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, I think I'm ready to punt this thing to the nearest lake!

I went through all the erase procedure, as you described, started the install, and within a few minutes the message came up "there was an error loading Mac OS X"

this is the 5th or 6th time, so apparently there is more wrong and needs some hardware. There are no close Mac techs withing an hour's drive or so, that's why I was trying to do this on my own. But I see it is beyond my meager attempts.

Thank you, BD for all your help, much appreciated!

Allan.

My early 2009 Mini kept shutting down randomly, trying to reload Snow Leopard so I can donate to a local charity.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.