Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chrome unusable - "Aw, Snap!" for all windows

Since updating to Mavericks, my Google Chrome is not working. I am unsure when it started... I thought it was working with 10.9.1 but now its not working at all with 10.9.2.

I have deleted the app (using AppZapper) and deleted the entire Prefs (in Application Support)

I constantly get the "Aw, Snap!" Screen and caanot do anything. There certainly is some conflict comewhere.

I have tried a clean install of Chrome, and nothing works. The only screen that displays correctly is the Task Manager, and all that now shows is:

• Browser
  • GPU Process

No other window works at all.

Chrome = 33.0.1759.152.

===============

Thanks

Peter

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 2:55 PM

9 replies

Oct 22, 2014 5:36 PM in response to Peter Lurie

Did you ever have any luck with this? I have the exact same problem on a 2013 Mac Pro running Mavericks 10.9.4. Brand new computer, and Chrome has never worked.

Interestingly, the exact same problem seems to happen with Opera. Neither browser is usable for me at all. Chrome with the Aw snap for every single page (including help, of course) and Opera with the "Page Crashed" error message.

This has to be a solvable issue, especially with two popular browsers susceptible to it. I've posted repeatedly on the Google help forums and searched extensively, but found nothing yet.

Oct 23, 2014 2:31 AM in response to KevinGarnett

Hi Kevin!

No, this has never been resolved, despite calls, screensharing and more from Google Tech. They were unable to understand how or why this was happening on my computer.

Their only suggestion was to create a Guest Login and install it there. I did this for a while, but it was such a hassle to switch between my regular laptop login and an alternative login, just to view things on Chrome.

Your answer points to Mac-issues... that there is something in our system prefs, either missing or weird, that affects Chrome (and for you Opera as well).

I have other weird anomalies... PDFs being viewed in Firefox that have ligature substitutes... where "ti" occurs in hundreds of words, I get a foreign language font character. But ONLY in FireFox for mac. Not Safari!

This is voodoo!

Thanks for writing.

Oct 23, 2014 8:48 AM in response to Peter Lurie

I agree. If installing on a guest OS fixes Chrome, then that's a big clue also, it seems to me. My suspicions are like you say, either a system prefs issue or something else that's been installed commonly between us. (I think a corrupted file is less likely because my system was so new when this issue began. Not impossible, just not likely.)

The only non-Apple system prefs I have are Flash, Flip4Mac, FUSE, Pantone's Huey, and Java. And I literally have only 75 applications installed on this machine, of which less than half are non-Apple.

I guess the real way to do it would be to start installing things on the Guest OS side until Chrome screws up again, then you'd know you've found the answer. I don't have time to do much with this right now, but I do want access to Chrome and Opera, so I am determined to figure this out.

Are you upgrading to Yosemite? Sometimes bugs like this disappear with OS upgrades. I'm holding off on Yosemite for the time being.

Oct 23, 2014 9:09 AM in response to KevinGarnett

Hey Kevin:

Sounds like a plan, but I too do not have the bandwidth for such testing.

I am interested in Yosemite, but want to wait a month till all the potential horrors and incompatibilities are revealed.

My next install will be iOs8.1, which is more urgent. Life without the PhotoRoll & PhotoStream in v.8.02 has been challenging.

I yearn for such a clean/stripped down system... mine is a legacy set-up that probably hasn't had a clean install since the mid 1990's.

Let's keep in touch about this issue. Thanks so much for the connection.

Best,

Peter

Jul 11, 2015 3:34 PM in response to Peter Lurie

FWIW, I spent most of today troubleshooting problems with both Spotify and Chrome, which ended up being related. I'm running a Mac Mini with 10.9.5. Spotify would not open and Chrome would only give me the Aw Snap! page even on Settings and such inside Chrome! I saw in some of my error logs that Chromium Framework was involved and that there were a ton of font related errors too. After many clean installs of both Chrome and Spotify, I disabled almost every font in FontBook that the OS would let me disable and removed one that was showing as corrupt (Eras font). Immediately Chrome started working! I tried starting up Spotify and it too started working!

I have since noticed some people saying once they upgraded to Yosemite, that the Chrome problem was resolved. I'm thinking that upgrading the OS is fixing some font issues that were causing some random problems.

This may or may not fix problems other people are having, but it's worth a shot if you are having the Aw Snap! errors or having issues getting Spotify to work.

Jul 12, 2015 6:59 AM in response to bmeadows

My seriously STRONG advice?

Ditch ALL Googlewares. They are ALL a serious resource hogs on the OS X system.

The additional benefit is that you'll stop Google from mining your data when you surf the web

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en

If you do not like Apple's Safari web browser, download, install and try Mozilla FireFox, instead.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox

The current, up-to-date version of FireFox is fully compatible with OS X and is regularly updated by the great developers of the Mozilla group.

I have, also, stopped using the Google search engine regularly (due to Google's privacy policies or lack thereof) and I now use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine.

Chrome unusable - "Aw, Snap!" for all windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.