Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture library will use more space than iPhoto library??

I want to convert my iPhoto library into an Aperture library but it says it will take up more space. I currently have a 65GB iPhoto library that I'm using in Aperture. I want to use an Aperture library instead so I created a new library and tried importing from the menu.

I know this error says I don't have enough space but that's not what my issue is. I can easily free up some storage. What is weird to me is that it says ~73GB is needed even though my iPhoto library is ~65-66GB. Any ideas?

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 2:40 PM

I'm not surprised. That's only 8 GB of difference. Aperture stores thumbnails for each photo, as well as previews based on the settings you have in Aperture. This may be different to the defaults that iPhoto uses.

Note you don't have to import an iPhoto library into Aperture. They can share the same library. Just double click it, or right click it and say "open with... Aperture."

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2014 2:40 PM in response to jbryant705

I'm not surprised. That's only 8 GB of difference. Aperture stores thumbnails for each photo, as well as previews based on the settings you have in Aperture. This may be different to the defaults that iPhoto uses.

Note you don't have to import an iPhoto library into Aperture. They can share the same library. Just double click it, or right click it and say "open with... Aperture."

Mar 18, 2014 2:42 PM in response to jbryant705

When you import your iPhoto library into an Aperture library, the size of the Aperture library will increase, but the old iPhoto library will not be deleted. So you will need temporarily more space, until you have checked that the import went well and can delete the old iPhoto library.

In addition to that, Aperture will need plenty of additional temporary working space while importing. That space will be released again later, when the import has finished. The size of the imported iPhoto library may be larger -this will depend on your settings for Preview size, Faces, etc., but generally the sizes should be comparable, since both programs are sharing the same library format.

Mar 19, 2014 1:32 AM in response to jbryant705

Also doesn't iPhoto store thumbnails as well?

The current versions of the iPhoto Library and Aperture libraries are exactly the same. That is why you can use both applications in turn on the same library. Only Aperture is giving you a choice to disable certain features, like the Previews or Faces, so you can save space by disabling these options.

Aperture library will use more space than iPhoto library??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.