Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a workaround for the transform/crop bug?

Happy Tuesday!

Does anyone know a way to get around this bug?

- I have two video clips.

- One video clip (on top) is a talking head that need to be placed in a box on the other clip.

- Apply transform to talking head clip. Scale and change position.

- Apply crop to talking head clip. Bring in left and right so image fits in the box.

Everything is good so far...

- Apply same transform and crop to other talking head clips in same project.

- Crop fails terribly for second and all subsequent attempts. It seems like there is a magic area for which the clip cannot render.

The first transform/crop works fine...

User uploaded file

All subsequent transform/crops, either mannually applied or from copied attributes, do this: (The collection of icons are inside the box and is showing through from the bottom clip.)

User uploaded file

If I drag the image around the screen, there seems to be a "magic area." If the image is in the magic area, everything is fine. If the image approached any edge of the screen, the bad crop effect happens. Here I have dragged the transform near the bottom left corner of the screen:

User uploaded file

I have played with crop settings and the way the crop jumps, there seems to be some kind of logic bug in the cropping code, particularly with transform/crop combinations. Any help would be appreciated! This bug is a show-stopper, and I'm on a fairly tight schedule. Does anyone know of a way to get around this bug?

Tom

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Bug with transform and crop.

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 2:55 PM

15 replies

Jan 18, 2017 9:47 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hey Tom,

yes, wrote that stuff when I was in a hurry.

First: I solved the problem with the 16 point mask of Alex4d. I think it is a problem of the implemented masks: bezier mask and shape mask. But I have the same problem with titles when the size of the font is too big. It is better to create a small size of a font and then scale it up in the transformation window (in the inspector, which is surrounded by the yellow line, which i can't unselect).

The small men in the Suit is the Person, who was shot in front of the green screen. The background is all the white stuff, the room with it's "furniture" and the white person is a size reference which belongs to the background. Don't get confused by the lines and flying letters, I should have had unselected them for this example.

When I change the position of the man in the suit (in the transformation window, which is selected in the inspector window), there are areas, where the men gets cropped, (missing leg, missing arm, how you can see in the pictures).

I would like to understand that. Earlier I always thought this is meant to be as a limit and I have to find another way of creating compositions with several layers.

Creating a compound clip doesn't change anything, wether you're changing the settings of the compound clip, or the clip in the compound clip.

Addition:

The men in front of the greenscreen is in a multicam clip, because I also had another perspective. I did the keying inside the multicam clip (on the original clip).

The problem is when I try to move around the original clip in the multicam clip, I don't have the reference of the background. That is why I did all the settings to the multicam clip. But the issue also happens on original clips.

Sorry for my bad explanation. English is not my first language, but I hope I made it understandable.

Do you understand the issue now?

kind regards,

JD

Jan 18, 2017 12:15 PM in response to JDBurger

It is better to create a small size of a font and then scale it up in the transformation window

This is never good. This always degrades the text. I don't understand how the text can be too big. You can set the font size down to very small. Perhaps I don't understand what you're doing where.

I don't think I can help you with the rest. I just don't understand. I don't think it's a language issue; I just can't follow your process.

Jan 19, 2017 4:39 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hey Tom,

just one more try 🙂, because maybe this could help who ever 😀

This is never good. This always degrades the text.

I thought the same, but I recognized the Titles as a vector graphic. So you can write a text with the size of 20, scale up the clip to 2000% and will not loose anything.

My process (since the import):

- creating a multicam clip out of two camera perspectives, both were shot with a greenscreen background.

- the greenscreen doesn't fill the whole background

- in the multicam timeline (don't know all the right words of the areas in the interface) I added a keying effect on each perspective and a bezier mask, because not the whole background is green. only the area where the person acts

- in the main timeline i added a background (connected it under the clip)

- then I want to change the size (84%) and position, so that the person fits to the background on the right position

- but when i was moving him around (position) there where areas where he cropped, like an invisible frame

- i unselected the bezier masks in the multicam timeline, went back to the main timeline and the picture didn't crop anymore, but then i have the unwanted surrounding stuff of the background.

- same problem with the shape mask

- i downloaded the plugin 4point/8point/16point mask from alex4d and everything worked out, it didn't crop anymore

BUT

Today that problem was solved: I had to activate the bezier mask again. I also unselected the 16 point mask and the picture isn't cropped anymore. I also had other problems in the library, which don't disappear. Maybe the library has issues. One week later we had to change the graphic card. I don't think that problem refers to the graphic card, because that problem still exists with titles. There I just guess that it is a limit wanted. So, how I wrote on top, I solve it with the size of the text... (not the best solution, I know)

Jan 20, 2017 5:50 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am using 10.3.1 right now. Seems to be solved.

There is also an Interesting bug I had before (not shure if it is solved yet):

When I created a shape mask in a full hd project and then (I know, normally shouldn't do that later) change the project settings to the 4k original format of the footage, the mask is proportional smaller to the ratio of the resolution. One Time this was important for me, but I solved it with the size (which had the same ratio)

example: full hd (1080 16:9 100%size shape mask upgrade to uhd 2160 16:9 -> 200%size shape mask 😀 )

But it is not 100% of a bug, could just make you angry when you already prepared everything before. I learned to work directly in the resolution I want to have in the end.

Mar 18, 2014 10:15 PM in response to tsphillips

I tried deleting preferences (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5149), but no luck. I really don't mean to whine, but this is a pretty serious bug; I don't understand how this could be missed. If there is no workaround, I would hope a version 10.1.2 is imminent.

Without a workaround, could someone suggest an alternative method to do a picture-in-picture or talking head on background composition? Any other method at all? I'm really grasping at straws -- No working project means no pay. No pay means no food. :-(

Tom

Mar 19, 2014 12:56 AM in response to tsphillips

tsphillips wrote:

... Crop fails terribly for second and all subsequent attempts. It seems like there is a magic area for which the clip cannot render.

can you post a screen-shot of your timeline, please?

I can not re-enact your problem - so, I guess, it's not a 'bug' but some fail in operation 😉

User uploaded file

just quick'n dirty: 3 clips, cropped and transformed - all fine.. (??)

Mar 19, 2014 5:01 PM in response to tsphillips

I would be happy if it turns out to be user error -- that would be easy to fix! 😁

I looked around other forums and it seems some people can reproduce this issue while others cannot. For me, all transform/crops after the first in a storyline have this problem -- it's not only reproducable, I can't get picture-in-picture style compositions to render correctly no matter what I try. :-( (That is, none after the first one in the storyline, even though they have the exact same attributes.)

Perhaps an interesting experiment would be to see what it takes to make a clip render outside of it's crop box. (Images 2 and 3 above show this.)

Anyways, the folks at Apple contacted me and I have sent them a simple test project that isolates and reproduces the issue. Now I wait with bated breath...

Here's a screenshot of the whole window from the test project I sent to Apple. Notice how the top clip will not render beyond a right edge, and how it does render out to the left of the crop box. The first overlay works fine. The second and third do not render correctly. This project was made from scratch, using a new library, new event, and new project just to reproduce the issue.

User uploaded file

Tom

Mar 19, 2014 9:36 PM in response to tsphillips

I am having a simular issue. Croiping an image on the right side produces no result, i then crop in from the top and the right side crop jumps in, move the top back up and the right side jumps back out! This is so frustrating, My first attempt at an edit in FCP X and it is proving to be a disater!

i am using 10.0.9, cant updat to maverics yet.

Mar 19, 2014 10:56 PM in response to tsphillips

I guess, I'm of no help here.. I can crop and transform like crazy - no issues 😝

I also tried your 'special' method, to crop/transform the main storyline (=what I wouldn't do) ... but the attached other clips appear without problems:

User uploaded file

and after that 'arrangement', another one - no issues:

User uploaded file

tsphillips wrote:

… Perhaps an interesting experiment would be to see what it takes to make a clip render outside of it's crop box.

here you lost me - in translation, sorry:

a clip OUTside its crop??

outside a crop is nothing, that's what a crop is for… shouldn't it?

cropping means; cutting-off parts of the pic, that icon is a passépartout..

so, outside a crop is … nothing to see here, Sir.. 😁

Sorry, of being no help here......

Would be interesting, what Cupertino will andswer you..........

Mar 20, 2014 6:13 PM in response to Mark J1

Mark J1 wrote:

I am having a simular issue. Croiping an image on the right side produces no result, i then crop in from the top and the right side crop jumps in, move the top back up and the right side jumps back out!

Mark J1 nails it exactly -- you've really got to see it in action to completely understand. There is both a "jumping" effect with the sides of the crop, plus there is some kind of magic area in which the clip will render correctly. Outside the magic area and the the clip does not render according to the crop box. Some area inside the crop box does not render, while the clip seems to leap outside the crop box and render where it is not supposed to. Of course, all of this happens in a strange, unpredictable way so nothing actually compensates for the problem.

I'm not sure what people who see the bug have in common. I am using an encrypted hard disk -- it's possible that that is related, but I'm not sure why it would be an issue. Other than that, I'm using a pretty stock MacBook Pro.

Tom

Mar 20, 2014 6:27 PM in response to tsphillips

tsphillips wrote:

I'm not sure what people who see the bug have in common. I am using an encrypted hard disk -- it's possible that that is related, but I'm not sure why it would be an issue. Other than that, I'm using a pretty stock MacBook Pro.

Tom

I would think it would possible be a video card issue? i am on a 2010 Mac Pro.

Dec 6, 2016 11:27 AM in response to tsphillips

Hey,

I have the same issue for over 2 years. I never realized it as a bug, but right now I really get in trouble, because I have to finalize a lot of Greenscreen Shots. And they didn't even fix it in the update :(::::

Timeline looks like this (chosen file is the overlay):

User uploaded file

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Settings refer to the following pictures:

User uploaded file

(circle is a censoring for this forum)

User uploaded file

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User uploaded fileI can't unselect the transform area

User uploaded file

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

in some areas this it is ok:

User uploaded file

I also unselected the crop areas in the effect browser:

User uploaded file

I had the same problem with titles, but in the past I had a lot of tricks to get around that. Now this problem *****.

Dec 6, 2016 12:54 PM in response to JDBurger

Completely do not understanding what you're referring to. No idea what bug you're talking about. The transformation you show is for what image? What do you mean you can't unselect the transform area? The transform area is the frame boundary of the image. The frame has been scaled down 84%. Don't know what you're trying to do. Probably can get around it using a compound clip if I could understand what you're trying to do.

Is there a workaround for the transform/crop bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.