Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop Mavericks from sleeping when display turns off?

I use my iMac to run processes that go overnight. But, the Energy Saver panel in OS X Mavericks no longer shows separate controls for "display sleep" vs "computer sleep".

I want the display to sleep after a short time, but want to set the computer to not sleep at all when I have a process for it to run that will take many hours.

How can I set this?

Right now, it looks like I have to have the display set to never sleep all night, in order to have the computer never sleep, which is pretty bad!

Thanks very much for any help,

Linda Palmer

(To be clear, with the default settings the computer definitely did go to sleep even though my program was still running -- a process that should have taken about 3 hours instead sat all night and finished only when I woke the computer in the morning, making me wait the final two hours for it to finish. This is R code that calls ImageJ routines repeatedly.)

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 5:49 PM

I'm not sure why you say the energy settings are seperated. Can you post a picture? Here is a picture of mine.

User uploaded file

4 replies

Apr 21, 2015 10:16 AM in response to PATRICKMELE

@Patrickmele

Thank you, that's something I'll consider, though I have to say it's pretty weird that apple is joining the two in the UI. I imagine they can still be set separately in the terminal... somehow, ha-ha.

QQ: I noticed in the comments on nosleep, one person said that when using it if they forgot to manually shut down, the computer would eventually just run itself to 0 battery. That's not what I want. What I'd love is to be able to set the display to turn off after, say 15m, and the computer to stay on for another, say 45m, and only after a total of 1 hour would the computer actually sleep.

This was possible with the old settings in OS X, do you know if nosleep allows this, or if it just stops the computer from sleeping with not timer available?

Thanks again!

How to stop Mavericks from sleeping when display turns off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.