Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash shows no content -- and startup disk is allegedly full

Hello all,

By the time you read this my Time Machine backup will have hopefully finished and I will have proceeded to erase my hard drive and reinstall the Mavericks with the internal malice of a waterboarder.

But I'd like to get some feedback from you supers-smarties out there on what could have happened.

I do support on Macs and so like a carpenter when I'm home, my MacBook Pro is always a work in progress. One thing I didn't bother to do was clear out the content of the ~Keychain folder because I was getting that annoying "x service wants to use your login keychain -- enter your password" message. I have root user enabled and I barely use it, but the root user password always seemed to neutralize those annoying windows when I first start up the MBP. But aside from appeasing one said message, the MBP left me alone and everything was fine.

I recently experimented with moving my iTunes folder to the Users/Shared folder to see if 2 different users can access the same library. I got a message that the test user that I set up didn't have permission to open iTunes to said iTunes folder...even after I changed the permissions of the folder to read & write for the test user specifically.

I also noticed that since moving that iTunes folder, my system started getting that spinning color wheel. So I removed Caches from all libraries and Removed launch agents and daemons from the root library... and finally the contents of the ~Keychain folder. Nothing drastic. Just stuff that I knew my hard drive could reproduce. When I restarted, I was still getting the keychain messages AND when I went to empty the trash, there was NO content! And when I tried to download a resume.docx from an email, I got a message that my startup drive was out of space. Bullcrap. Of 250 GB, the partition had 60 GB free. I can't even take a screen shot of the "Other details & Tags" portion of this post where I wrote "Los Lonely Boys are terrible" because my startup disk is so full.

I first used Terminal to sudo empty the trash -- no improvement. I then reinstalled Mavericks -- and when that didn't resolve the issue either, I figured I'd reindex spotlight. Because the hard disk was allegedly almost full, it took 7 hours. Issue persisted. I couldn't even start to Safe Mode. I got a message saying "Unapproved Caller. Securty Agen may only be infoked by Apple Software." (I'm using a legit copy of Mavericks, btw -- it's free, so what's the point of pirating?) So now, I'm erasing and migrating my User Data back on.

The only thing I can think of is either that I had a virus (in which case I'd like to know where in the filing system of my last Time Machine backup I could look for it) or I just user-errored that crap out of this thing.

I have no angry responses to your suggestions waiting as I don't get frustrated about computer matters anymore, plus, I'm fixing it one way or another with a computabotomy. So any meditations and rhetorical answers are welcome and appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Los Lonely Boys are terrible

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 5:43 PM

There are no replies.

Trash shows no content -- and startup disk is allegedly full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.