Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting from iPod shuffle but not from iTunes library.

I have an iPod shuffle and I want to delete a lot of stuff that is in iTunes so that I can load a talking book onto it periodically. I do not want to delete everything from the iTunes library because I need it for my iPad. How do I do it?

iPad 2

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 8:59 PM

6 replies

Mar 19, 2014 5:07 AM in response to ramafromleichhardt

Is this shuffle and older 1st or 2nd gen shuffle, or the more recent 3rd or 4th gen shuffle? This document shows the four shuffle models

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1719

This document also describes ways to load content on a shuffle. Which method do you use? Do you use automatic syncing, or the Manually manage music method. How you manage the shuffle to remove content depends on how you added that content, automatic syncing or manually (plus the shuffle model).

Mar 19, 2014 12:26 PM in response to ramafromleichhardt

I'll describe a convenient way to load and manage content on a shuffle. It uses automatic syncing.

If the iTunes sidebar (along left side of window) is not visible, from the menu bar, underView, select Show Sidebar. When connected, the shuffle appears in the sidebar, under DEVICES. Select the shuffle there. To the right, the shuffle's Summary screen is shown. Toward the top, where it says Summary, click Music to the right of Summary. This Music screen is where you tell iTunes how to sync songs to the shuffle.

Before you set up that Music screen, create a new playlist in your iTunes library, and put all of the songs you want on the shuffle on that playlist. (Or you can use an existing playlist.) Back on the shuffle's Music screen in iTunes, check the checkbox for Sync Music (it may be already). Choose the option to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, find that playlist under Playlists and select (checkmark) it. You can select other items on those lists if desired.

When you click Apply, the songs in your selection(s) sync to the shuffle. Going forward, to update the shuffle's songs, just update that playlist in your iTunes library (add/remove songs). The shuffle does not need to be connected. The next time you connect the shuffle (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates the shuffle with the same changes.

You can also do what you want using the Manually manage music method, so you can post back if you want more info.

Mar 19, 2014 3:07 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thank you, your instructions are clear and helped me navigate around iTunes. I don't find iTunes to be particularly friendly and I'm still unsure about solving my particular problem. I've learnt a lot though from your advice and when I have more energy and patience to work I'll revisit the issue. For the time being though, I'm over spending ages trying to do what should be a simple task.

Mar 20, 2014 1:12 PM in response to ramafromleichhardt

Using automatic syncing is more "convenient" for me. You're letting iTunes do a lot of the work automatically.

This is how to load and manage content on a shuffle manually, if you want to give that a try...

Select the shuffle in the sidebar, under DEVICES. To the right, on the shuffle's Summary screen, check the checkbox for Manually manage music. Apply the change. Now, iTunes will no longer sync the shuffle automatically, based on how the Music screen is set up and changes you make to your iTunes library.

To add songs manually, show any song list in iTunes. For example, you can click on Music under LIBRARY in the sidebar. This shows your full iTunes music library to the right. Select and drag the song you want on the shuffle from the list, and drop it on the shuffle in the sidebar. You can do this with more than one song selected. Alternately, you can select song(s) on the list, right-click on the selection, and choose command Add to Playlist -> [name of your shuffle].

To remove songs manually, click the small triangle to the left of the shuffle's name in the sidebar. The shuffle's content list drops down, indented below the shuffle. Click on Music there. To the right, a list of songs on the shuffle is shown. Select the song you want to remove from the shuffle, and press Delete on the keyboard. You can do this with more than one song selected. The song is removed from the shuffle (it remains in your iTunes library).

Deleting from iPod shuffle but not from iTunes library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.