Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Airport Extreme - 5GHZ Poor Signal Help Configuring

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting a decent enough signal using what I think ? is the newest Airport Extreme Tower AND I have a question about whether I'm missing something in the Airport Utility.

I've got AT*T/sbcglobal DSL and I'm using their Motoral Modem in bridged mode. I kept getting bounced around on the 2.4GHZ channel when I set it to Automatic as it chose the usual "preferred channels 1, 6 etc..Did a scan and found that setting it to Channel 3 was my best best...using it with a Mac Pro Tower. I've done a scan and there are no competing 5GHZ users around, so I'd like to try using 5 GHZ...but the signal is weak and I keep getting bounced on and off in the course of a minute or two.

When I use Airport Utility 6.31 and go into Wireless Options, I don't see the tab that gives me the option to select which wireless mode I want a/b/g/n c etc.

User uploaded file

Using the Scan Function in Wireless Disgnostics, it shows that my 2.4GHZ signal is using 802.11b/g/n but the 5GHZ sets itself to 802.11ac

Corey's Wi-fi.

User uploaded file

Is this of any significance in terms of the signal of the 5GHZ band? Why don't I have the option to set the radio band in Airport Utility as I've seen elsewhere? Does this have anything to do with what version of Airport Utility I use.. I think? I might have seen something about this.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Mac Pro Nehalem 3.2 Quad + 3 others

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 9:35 PM

15 replies

Mar 18, 2014 9:59 PM in response to curtispsf

Duh...I now realize that AC is only in the 5GHZ band. I'm thinking maybe my mid 2010 MAC Pro may not have a wireless AC capability, probably more b/g/n. Does this mean I wouldn't be able to use the 5GHZ mode at all or wopuld it be backward compatible?

Am I "missing" something from the Aiport Utility app itself or has the selection mode 802.11b/g/n etc just been eliminated from the 6th Generation Airport Extreme? Would a different Airport Utility app yield a different result?

Mar 18, 2014 10:11 PM in response to curtispsf

correct, the 2010 mp only has up to n, the newer black cylinder supports ac.

the silver tower machine also never was the best to pick up wifi signals, so maybe that's why it is picking up 2.4 since it may be far away from your router. 2.4 travels much farther than 5 (think short, fast pipe). if you want to do a test to check this, move the mp to the same room as the router and run a speedtest. i bet you'll get much faster results and will see that your machine is now on 5. (hold down option when you click the wifi icon).

i stopped changing channels after realizing the router did a better job of managing the network than i did manually. i would go back and let things run automatically unless you're going to periodically scan and refresh your network to keep it optimal.

Mar 19, 2014 11:11 AM in response to turbostar

If I do run a test using my 2010 Mac Pro on the 5GHZ band, how will it handle the request since the computer is using n on an ac 5GHZ band? IS the ac band backwards compatible with b/g/n?

I tried using the Router automatically on the 2.4ghz band - disaster. I'd get pushed off and on every few minutes.

I think this is because on automatic, it's preference is channels 1, 6 & 11....just like about every apple (and perhaps other) routers. A scan showed congestion on the "preferred" channels so I manually set the 2.4ghz to channel 3 which works fine for me.

Mar 19, 2014 1:52 PM in response to curtispsf

I think you are making a mistake here. The only channels that do not overlap in US are 1,6,11

Setting something at 3 will interfere with 1 and possibly 6

I would first let the airport choose the channel to see what it does but based on your scan your best bet is actually 11.

For what concerns 5 Ghz network there will almost never be an external network having sufficient reach in your house so you can leave it automatic as well

I have a time capsule ac and I am not that bothered about the c. My macbookair does 270/300 mbps on 5 Ghz and my imac 450 mbps (it has two antennas). The 5 Ghz networks are quite poor in terms of reach regardless.

On the 2.4 Ghz channel (that my laptops, iphone etc use especially outdoor) it is usually full power at 130 mbps

Either way once you go through two walls it drops to 2.4 Ghz that is much stronger.

Whatever you do your internet connection is slower. I have fiber at effective 35 mbps and have no issues of any sort even if the appletv decides to connect to the 2.4 ghz network there are no performance issues, the most demanding application is streaming movies to the appletv for which the superior throghoutput of the time capsule does help but again even with 2.4 Ghz no issues

in summary I would leave the channel choice to automatic or if you really have to set your 2,4 Ghz to 11 (the competing 2 channels are the weakest) and not bother much about which connection the mac chooses usually it chooses the best

Mar 19, 2014 2:38 PM in response to Interceptor121

You may want to rethink the routine setting of channel select to automatic.

I know conventional wisdom is to let the router choose, because It will choose 1, 6, 11. (the non overlapping channels)..which is exactly what EVERY other network in my area has. After days of Automatic 1, 6, and 11s after restart or even manually setting to one of those channels...I'd get a signal that would work and then drop off every 2 to 3 minutes and restart....my conclusion was too much traffic on the "CHOSEN" Automatic channels. Once I manually set to channel 3 on the 2.4ghz band - no drops at all. Consistent "good to excellent" signal. I can guarantee that an automatic 2.4ghz setting choice would not work, unless I could selectively jam all the other stations around me.

I have AT&T "high speed diesel" which they define as 3 to 7mbs; note ...i called it diesel instead of dsl; I consistently get 5.0 mbs on the d/l. It *****. But I have too much invested in my sbcglobal mail account.

Mar 19, 2014 4:39 PM in response to curtispsf

so, wait your pkg is 3-7 down, and you consistenly get 5 down on the mp? then, i'm not sure why you're trying to get extra oomph since 3-7 is their quoted range plus not even sure you'll see 7 unless you put the MP in the same room.

i thought you were getting like 3 down but you're paying for 30 down.

i think things are (practically) good as you'll get.

Mar 19, 2014 9:40 PM in response to turbostar

I realize I'm not going to get any more speed out of this. I'm maxing out at 5.15 which is slow. But I am changing service and wanted to be sure I could get the best steady signal I could, whether it was on 2.4GHZ or 5.0GHZ. Can't really use 5.ghz - too weak and followed conventional wisdom to set 2.4GHZ to Automatic Channel selection which yielded 1, 6, or 11 AND NO USEABLE steady signal. Knocked on and off every minute or so because ALL the airports around me are on those channels. Was getting an SSRI of > -82 on Auto

I tried Channel 3 out of desperation aware that it has no overlap protection. It is now working. I scan once a day to see if anyone else is on 3. So far, no one else and my signal is consistent at -56 to -66

I wanted a backup plan on the 5GHZ band just in case I need it. One thing is clear: In the presence of other stations running 1,6, or 11 setting the channel selector to Automatic is not an option (for me). I'd be curious what other users experience under a similar situation.

Jun 24, 2014 2:18 PM in response to curtispsf

If you want to increase wireless range and coverage try mounting it on the ceiling or wall like with this product:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRSDKX6

It optimizes the 11n/ac speed and throughput so that you can get great performance from your Apple Extreme throughout the entire house!

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

New Airport Extreme - 5GHZ Poor Signal Help Configuring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.