Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delivering our iBook from outside U.S. - our story

Hello Everyone,

Last year when starting our iBook project I was hungry for as much reliable information as possible. This community was very helpful and I hope to be able to help anyone interested in creating and delivering their iBook. So I hope to provide recommendations for people to help them.

My wife wrote a huge book on caring for Eclectus Parrots and I desinged the book using iBooks Author. We live outside the U.S. (Australia) and so we looked at several of the publishing houses to deliver our book for us. The 'process' of setting up tax ID's and handling all of that seemed daunting at the time - but it is not. I highly recommend that if you speak english well and can devote a day of phone calls, and about $100 you will do just fine and you will be 30% richer in the long run.

Setting up an iTunes Connect account is easy. Getting an EIN from the U.S. is also reletivly easy. For some reason we had trouble last year contacting the tax office, but once we got through they were very helpful and within about 30 minutes we had our EIN. Next, you need your ISBN which are easy to get and once you pay the fee with Thorpe-Bowker you get your ISBN immediately. As long as your local tax info is correct, finishing the iTunes Connect tax and banking account is simple.

When designing your iBook in IBA, make sure to follow the guidlines Apple provides. Be sure to have your copyright page in order (the page where you have your ISBN and your "all rights reserved" disclaimer).

Once you are ready to deliver, uploading your book with iTunes Producer was sketchy. I had to upload it a couple of times (800+mb). I have not yet used the new version of iTunes Producer so that may be better. We are selling our book, so it took about 3 days to show up in the iBookstore, but it did and it is incredibly exciting to see your hard work in the store.

If you are in the process of designing your book I highly recoomend you start planning your promotion process. Once it hits the iBookstore you will want people to know about it. It helps to have a small website setup. Start spreading the word through any relatable means possible.

Overall, the process seemed daunting to start with, but it really isn't as hard as it seems. It is so rewarding to see your efforts come to fruition and even more - to see such a positive response from people. I hope this helps in any way.

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 10:32 PM

1 reply

Mar 20, 2014 4:26 PM in response to Parrot Haven

The 'process' of setting up tax ID's and handling all of that seemed daunting at the time - but it is not. I highly recommend that if you speak english well and can devote a day of phone calls, and about $100 you will do just fine and you will be 30% richer in the long run.

If readers see this... its not typical! There are many threds in the iBooks Author discussion group. Follow the information and use the phone number given......

1-267-941-1099 USA IRS Telephone

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf

Calculat your time zone to call the tax office around their 6.30pm. The finish work at 7pm and most US people are home for dinner and not talking to tax officers. It took me 10 minuutes and I am in Australia and purchased a $10 phone card and the call cost be about $3.

UK applicants will also need an IBAN number from their bank.

Next, you need your ISBN which are easy to get and once you pay the fee with Thorpe-Bowker you get your ISBN immediately.

It is now not an Apple iBooks store requirement - IF you intend use publishers other than Apples iBooks store, then you will need to comply with whatever that publisher/online book store requires.

Once you are ready to deliver, uploading your book with iTunes Producer was sketchy.

Sorry, the deliver process is easy and strait forward. prepare your cover and screen shots as they are requires in advance and follow the steps when iTunesProducer is opened by the "Publish" option in iBA.

If you have problems... its OK to stop the process.. clarify your issue and then go back to start again.

We are selling our book, so it took about 3 days to show up in the iBookstore, but it did and it is incredibly exciting to see your hard work in the store.

Clearence and arrival in the iBooks store depends on how busy the review team are and can take 1- 14 days or longerdepending on how busy they are.

Overall, the process seemed daunting to start with, but it really isn't as hard as it seems.

This is true, most people do not take time to gather the information and follow the correct procedure.

Download teh assett guides available from your iTunesConnect > Deliver your Content.

And also read the Help files in iBA.

As the poster and myself illustrate... everybody may have different results, the best start is gathering all teh information in the various threads in the rerlated discussion groups and only post requests for advice if you get stuck...

Hope your books are a huge success....

Delivering our iBook from outside U.S. - our story

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.