Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update won't finish

Hi there,

I just tried to update my MacBook and the update seems to be "hung up" on the last item and won't finish. If I try to restart my computer will I lose all data since my last backup?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 2009

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 10:17 PM

1 reply

Mar 19, 2014 6:01 AM in response to jmrichards

You might.

This is why backing up is essential prior to any upgrade or software installation. Your hard drive is being put through more vigorous use during an upgrade than any other operation. The upgrade itself may not itself cause failures, but it can certainly hasten it on an already marginal drive, that may not otherwise appear marginal.

Give yourself overnight for the upgrade to try to finish. If it does not, be prepared for possibly doing a data recovery if needed:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1689

Note: Mac Pro refers to desktop machines. MacBook Pro refers to Notebooks. I believe you posted in the wrong forum. No need to repost since this thread applies to all Macs.

Update won't finish

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.