Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Motion Processor Saving Techniques

Are there any techniques or workflow that will save proecessing power?

Every project I make crashes, freezes, or lags everytime I go to change a single parameter.

I work with the render qualitys as low as possible when I am experimenting but as things are going right now I do not see how anyone can make complicated projects with this. I used to work in the motion included with final cut studio 7 and I remember being able to make projects twice as complicated on a computer way less powerfull as the one I am using now.

I am thinking maybe I should be bouncing each part of the project and then just working with the seperate layers as videos but then I am left without 3D capabilities.

Does anyone have any ideas to what I am doing wrong? Or do I just have too high of expectations? If anyone has links to complicated motion projects I can reverse engineer too that would be great as I am basically self taught(in this version of motion)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 2:35 PM

Without seeing the actual project it's hard to point to a specific fix for your situation. Motion has changed a bit since the last fcp studio (7) release. Motion is now rendering things at a higher bit depth than the older 8bit default most users used to work with. Here are the techniques I use, hopefully some of them will help.

-Don't use larger elements than you absolutely need. Example: You have a 1920x1080 image that you scale down to 10% in Motion. If you never see it at full resolution, preprocess it and make a smaller image. I do the same for video clips sometimes.

-Stay in Normal mode until you really need to check quality. I will usually work in normal and then check best as needed. I usually do not work in best mode unless the project is really light.

-Disable Motion Blur until you need it.

-Turn off shadow casting (leave on receive) for layers that don't need it. Example, a ground with nothing below it doesn't need to cast a shadow...nobody will ever see it.

-Work with Depth of Field in Gaussian unless you need the polygon rendering.

-Pre-render elements that you can with export selection. Example: If you are doing a lot of filtering on a layer, it may be worth exporting/baking the layer and then re-importing.

-Finally, try turning elements on and off to see how they affect peformance and use that to help look for optimizations.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2014 2:35 PM in response to PerfectAce

Without seeing the actual project it's hard to point to a specific fix for your situation. Motion has changed a bit since the last fcp studio (7) release. Motion is now rendering things at a higher bit depth than the older 8bit default most users used to work with. Here are the techniques I use, hopefully some of them will help.

-Don't use larger elements than you absolutely need. Example: You have a 1920x1080 image that you scale down to 10% in Motion. If you never see it at full resolution, preprocess it and make a smaller image. I do the same for video clips sometimes.

-Stay in Normal mode until you really need to check quality. I will usually work in normal and then check best as needed. I usually do not work in best mode unless the project is really light.

-Disable Motion Blur until you need it.

-Turn off shadow casting (leave on receive) for layers that don't need it. Example, a ground with nothing below it doesn't need to cast a shadow...nobody will ever see it.

-Work with Depth of Field in Gaussian unless you need the polygon rendering.

-Pre-render elements that you can with export selection. Example: If you are doing a lot of filtering on a layer, it may be worth exporting/baking the layer and then re-importing.

-Finally, try turning elements on and off to see how they affect peformance and use that to help look for optimizations.

Mar 24, 2014 8:52 PM in response to PerfectAce

To add to some of the other suggestions above:

Turn off all Previews from View > Layers Column > Preview... those are "live updates" and a waste of processing power. There's actually a better preview for any selected layer/object at the top of the inspector. You can select a layer and click the preview to play it, whether or not the timeline is playing, to preview that later (or group of layers.) That preview cannot be closed — it's always available. [Make sure to pause it again.]

In complex (overly popluated) replicators and emitters, there's a Show Objects As menu at the bottom of Cell Controls. Switch to any of the other options (like wireframe, line or point) until you go to render (or publish.) For emitters, turn down birth rates and Life parameters to speed things up. (You can turn them back up later.) If your Emitter/Replicator objects are animations: turn off Play Frames until you need to render/publish.

In Preferences > Time, turn off Limit playback speed to project frame rate... that will usually get you a few extra FPS even when Motion is bogging down. (YMMV)

While you're at it: set "Time View Updating" to Don't Update.

If you use generators that animate (Caustics, Cellular, Clouds, etc... ) turn the speed parameter down to zero when not "under test".

Turn OFF layers (or groups layers) that do not need immediate attention (backgrounds, emitters, etc.) [Was mentioned, but sometimes there's no chance at optimizing...]

If you're using audio, do NOT use mp3. period. AIF or WAV. [You can use iTunes or FCPX to convert mp3s.] In Preferences > Time, choose: If Audio sync is lost: Skip video frames.

If you're using video, it should be prores and not... anything else. Proxy will give you the best performance, but use what you need (you will need 4444 for transparency.)

If your Shape outlines use Airbrush or Image strokes, loosen up the Spacing somewhat. Tight spacing can slow things down especially if the shape is emitted or replicated. Complex gradients can be turned over to solid color temporarily as well (the gradient settings will be preserved and you can turn them back on before rendering/publishing.)

Emitters are the usual culprit for slowing Motion to a crawl, but it's not just the emitter. It's the complexity of all the objects being emitted (cells.) Sometimes, complexity just means "how many" items there are at any given time. Other times it means how complicated it is to render each one (outline-airbrush/image, drop shadows, glow, effects, etc. etc.)

There's two further little tricks to help speed up overactive Emitters, but they will cost you 3D space. 1) to the group the emitter is in, set it to 2D and check Fixed Resolution. 2) you can leave the group as "3D" but check "Flatten". These steps will be very much like baking the emitter without the exporting. For 2D Fixed Resolution: Motion simply will not draw outside the boundaries. Otherwise, normally, Motion will render everything whether you see it in the canvas or not.

None of these suggestions have any guarantee at all. You can grind Motion to a standstill easily and at any time. If that happens, it's a pretty good indicator that your project is too complex, not only programmatically, but also from a design standpoint as well... I have a student (for Motion, not design, unfortunately) who is going to buy a new Mac Pro rather than scale back his "design considerations" that I keep trying to talk him out of ([design, not the mac] a lot of emitters of images, layers of video with odd blending modes)... His frustration level might decrease (mine will probably be the inverse) but the Mac Pro isn't going to make his projects any better and I'm sure he'll just saturate it with more of what he's doing ("wrong" [matter of opinion]) now. [Okay, that's probably not at all helpful...]

Apple Motion Processor Saving Techniques

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.