Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator Calendar Alarm/iTunes Help

I have created a Calendar Alarm in Automator to play an internet Radio Station using an iTunes playlist at a specific time. The Automator script works fine and the streaming radio starts and runs perfectly when my laptop is running normally during the day.

Specific sequence:

Get Specified iTunes Items - which is a streaming radio station set up as a playlist

Play iTunes Playlist

Set Computer Volume

Set iTunes Playing

My reason for creating this script is for a Wakeup Radio Alarm. I have my MacBook Pro wake from sleep using the Schedule facility in Energy Saver 5 minutes before the radio alarm is due to start. No problems, the laptop wakes from sleep mode.

But when the Calendar Alarm script activates I then get an unhelpful error message saying “The action "Get Specified iTunes Items" encountered an error. Check the action’s properties and try running the workflow again”. No other information is provided.

Then when I switch to iTunes I receive a message saying “iTunes is running in safe mode. Visual plug-ins you have installed have been temporarily disabled.” I have not added any plug-ins to iTunes.

After cancelling the 2 error messages from the above, opening the Calendar Alarm script now with Automator and running it produces no errors whatsoever and the radio station starts playing.

Any ideas please?

Rob

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 4:28 AM

39 replies

Mar 19, 2014 11:26 AM in response to Tony T1

OK, I added a delay of 30 seconds as the first action.

Result - no change.

It works fine if I run the revised app through Automator:

User uploaded file

But it gives me the same errors covered in my original post and will not go further than "Get Specified iTunes items" after a Wake from Sleep trigger set up through Energy Saver. I also checked that Wifi was on and working with another application that was running before and after the sleep/wake sequence and before the Calendar Alarm triggered the above failed script.

Rob

Mar 19, 2014 1:57 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I tried setting the iTunes volume as you suggested as the first item in the script but still no change. The Calendar alarm works fine if I run it direct from Automator, even the first time through, but not when I try to run it as a Calendar Alert after a Wake from Sleep trigger as explained in my original post. It still guives an error on "Get Specified iTunes item".

Rob

Mar 20, 2014 5:42 AM in response to robtomcat

robtomcat wrote:

I have not added any plug-ins to iTunes.

Maybe not, but have you checked? (It's possible some 3rd party app might have added something without you realising it).

In your user library, check

~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins

Is that folder empty? (It should be). If it's not, move anything that's in there to the desktop; then test to see if your alarm works as intended.

Mar 20, 2014 6:28 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

why is iTunes when started by an Automator workflow right after the system wakes starting this way.

It's not on my system. I can't reproduce the problem and the workflow works for me as the OP intended. That's why I suggested he double-check that the plug-ins folder is indeed empty.

The only difference between my script and his as given here is that I'm not using a radio stream, so that's another possible source of error. Try the script with a normal iTunes song and see if it still fails.

Like I said, works here.

Automator Calendar Alarm/iTunes Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.