Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lan and Wan port on Airport express

Hi guys I am wondering if you could help me out with my airport express.

I recently bought an airport express and have it set up as the following:

Router--->ethernet cable in to the Wan of Airport express--->ethernet from Airport Express Lan to computer

This is so that I have hardwired internet to my gaming computer and wifi in my room for all my devices. The problem is, however, next year I will not be in a situation that allows me the same setup. I will be too far away to run an ethernet cable from the router to the airport express. So I have decided I shall use it to join the network wirelessly and relay internet through both the Wan and Lan port (think this is called bridge mode?). I was also intending on connecting an ethernet hub to one of the ports so that I can connect multiple devices, smart tv, macbook, ps3 etc. But having one of the ports exclusively to my gaming pc.

My question is, with both Lan and Wan ports relaying internet to multiple devices, would I see a drop in performance, in particular in regard to my compter? Or is the airport express able to join both the 2.4GHz or 5GHz and relay each connection to a specific lan port?

Unfortunately I am not in a position to test this yet, lacking a 5GHz connection in my halls, so I would appreciate if anyone could help shed some light.

Thank you

AirPort Express 802.11N (2nd generation), iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 5:57 AM

4 replies

Mar 19, 2014 7:26 AM in response to Finnnn94

is the main router also an apple product? if so, then yes you can extend wirelessly, but if the main router is an apple product, why are you bothering to extend wirelessly at all when the main router's signals should be strong enough?

if the main router is NOT an apple router, then you wil NOT be able to extend it wirelessly period.

in my experience, there are very FEW places you NEED to extend a network wirelessly, and i always recommend against it since there is a big performance decrease.

In the case of a wirelessly extended network, throughput may be reduced to less than 60 percent of that of a single device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4145

Mar 19, 2014 11:01 AM in response to turbostar

Thank you for answering so quickly!

The main router is a Sky Hub but I'm not looking to extend the wifi wirelessly. Im looking to use the AX to connect to the Sky router wirelessly and then send internet out via the ethernet ports (I read that it is possible in one of the apple support guides - think it is bridge or client mode). The reason I am asking is that my computer and tv do not have wifi adapters and buying two ethernet cables is much cheaper than buying both adapters. Will this set up work?

Lan and Wan port on Airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.