Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where I can find bitrate info for audio file?

I just upgrade to OS X 10.9.2 and I can't find bitrate informations for audio file in Finder's info window. Is there someone with the same problem?

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 6:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 5:26 PM

Can't believe.. Apple has made my job slower for no apparent reason

11 replies

Mar 19, 2014 7:02 AM in response to Ed Lqt

I was only able to quickly test this with an AIFF and WAV file but presumably the same will apply to other formats.

Select a music file in the Finder, chose Get Info. In the Get Info window look for the 'More Info:' option and open the triangle. For me for AIFF and WAV it then shows - Sample rate, Bits per sample, Duration and Channels but does not show bitrate per second which I believe is what you want.

I do know this information is available in iTunes if you add the tracks to it and then select Get Info in iTunes.

Nov 7, 2017 5:48 AM in response to riaaneloff

Right-Click -> Get Info

User uploaded file

Is that what you wanted, or is the sample rate not the same thing?

Is the "More Info" triangle pointing down on your display?

Is the bitrate data actually encoded in the file you are looking at (I know nothing about .wav file encoding, so I'm just throwing out thoughts).

Side comment. Anytime you switch to a different interface, it is a pain because all your old habits and shortcuts no longer work. The people that find the Mac better may also have years of habits and shortcuts tailored to the Mac and do not think about it any longer. But you are going to have to develop those all over again.

These forums can be very helpful, but since we are just unpaid users that do it for fun, it helps if you approach us without swearing in your posts. That tends to makes regular uses defensive and sometimes hostile when they reply. I'm not trying to pick on you, just suggesting you can get more out of these forums without starting a post with swear words.

Nov 8, 2017 10:34 AM in response to BobHarris

-- bitrate.applescript

-- Display all audio and music files in a Finder window whose bitrate is larger than 192Kbps.

use framework "Cocoa"

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite or later (won't work in Mavericks - noticed after the post)

use scripting additions

-- find the Spotlight kMDItemTotalBitRate value for all audio and music categories

-- also the QuickTime Player's Data rate value

set query to "(kind:audio AND kind:music) bitrate:>192000"

-- pop a Finder window showing the files matching the query results as if entered into the Finder search panel

set result_code to (current application'sNSWorkspace'ssharedWorkspace)'s showSearchResultsForQueryString:query

if result_code = 0 then return

return

From Finder's Open With QuickTime Player on one of the resultant files:

User uploaded file

Nov 7, 2017 1:26 AM in response to Ed Lqt

Hi folks,

I just switched to Mac recently, as I do a lot of audio and video stuff. What a F$%^%^&-up!?! I love the idea of Mac, but boy, when you're used to working on a Windows system (with all its faults), Mac is such a muck! So, I simply want to know the sample rate and bitrate of a wave file. That's it...no rocket science or anything...could anyone tell me how, please?

On Windows, it was simple: right-click on the file, then click on details - voila! I am told that on Mac I should also right-click and then get info, then "more info". Yet, at that location it only shows the name and extension of the file. Am I still doing something wrong? Tryin my best to learn the intricacies of Mac :-)

Mar 19, 2014 6:58 PM in response to Ed Lqt

Here's an Automator Service that wil give you a pop-up:

(Highlight the audio file, right click and select the service name)

User uploaded file

Open Automator, Select Service.

The Service is:

User uploaded file

The Run Shell Script Action is:

echo $(( $(mdls -raw -name kMDItemTotalBitRate "$1" ) /1000 ))  \(File: "${1##*/}"\)

The AppleScript is:

on run {input, parameters}

display dialog "Total bit rate: " & inputbuttons {"OK"} default button 1

return input

end run

Where I can find bitrate info for audio file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.