Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues installing my airport utility from my airport extreme.

I have an airport extreme 4th gen that was purchased (probably) in 2009/2010. It does list last update 3/5/2010. I have a mac pro retina display os x10.9.2 purchased 6/2013 but listed as late 2012 model.I have been able to get the wifi working but unable to install utility. Error message comes up says not supported on my mac. I spoke with geek squad, as i purchased my mac at best buy, and they state that my airport extreme is to old to work with my new mac and need to buy a new one. My support through apple is expired so i am asking here. Crazy to think I would need to spend another $200! Does any body know if this is accurate info? Is a 3-4 y/o product already obsolete? No way to update or add anything to allow utilities to work?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, mac os x 10.9.2

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 6:33 AM

1 reply

Mar 19, 2014 8:23 AM in response to medic1008

Never ask the Geek Squad anything other than directions to the nearest Best Buy exit, and don't be too certain of a correct answer to even that question.

Any "square" AirPort Extreme will work with your MacBook Pro. The only Extreme models that will not are the "round" models discontinued over seven years ago.

If it's not responding to AirPort Utility, "hard reset" it according to the below. You will need to reconfigure it. Make sure you are using the current AirPort Utility version 6.3.x. It is included with Mavericks.

To "hard reset" an AirPort Base Station: make sure it's powered up, then press and hold its tiny reset button and keep it depressed for five to ten seconds, long enough for its LED to flash amber rapidly. Release the reset button. Then, the LED will glow amber steadily for about a minute. Then, it will flash amber, slowly, about once every second or two, waiting for you to configure it with AirPort Utility.

Having issues installing my airport utility from my airport extreme.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.