Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with RAM (installed)

So my 2012 MBP has been acting up lately.

When I bought it in the summer of 2012, these were the specs:

• 15" Macbook Pro (non retina)
  • 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • 8GB 1600MHz memory
  • 750GB 7200-rpm hard drive
  • Standard optical drive

Shortly after, I installed a Crucial 256GB SSD and two sticks of Corsair 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM

SSD - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JL2A/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&p sc=1

RAM- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DI9PG8/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&p sc=1

Everything has absolutely 100% fine until a couple of weeks ago. I've noticed a handful of problems that have made me question the stability(for lack of a better word) of the RAM I installed. Here's a timeline of my MBP's symptoms:

1. Noticed the laptop was running hot/not sleeping after I closed it.
  2. Took longer than usual to wake up from sleep
  3. Began to freeze when I opened it up (waking it up)

The freeze totally lock up everything and the cursor would not move, which resulted in several hard reboots

4. So, I ran a Disk Utility - everything appears OK
  5. Then I took it into the Apple Store and they did a software & hardware diagnostics and said that everything looked fine. They did a couple of reboots by pressing a combination of keys on the keyboard. (Forgot what they're called)
  6. I get home an hour later and realize nothings changed and it's still freezing up.
  7. NOW - it makes 3 beeps when I open it up and the screen is blank. I'm able to turn it on and it works ok but something is not right...

Any suggestions? My first thought is to open it up and make sure everythings connected correctly. Other than that, what do you think is causing it? Appreciate the responses...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 9:03 AM

Take the Ram out and reseat it, if that makes no difference take it out and replace the original Ram. Replace the Corsair 16GB pair with Ram from Crucial or OWC.

8 replies

Jun 10, 2014 2:57 PM in response to Csound1

Ok so I took it into Apple once again and they couldn't figure out what it was. I left my Macbook at the store overnight so they could run an "8 hour loop". They proceeded to tell me it was the Logic Board and it was a $350 fix.

I wasn't too happy about it but everythings working fine now. They also replaced my 8GB Ram which I did not ask them to do, considering have have 16GB at home. Either way I don't think I'm going to use my old 16 GB (2 X 8GB sticks). I want a new genuine product, most likely will go with OWC.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I just thought I'd let you know what the solution was for me. A very costly one at that..

P.S. I've never dropped, damaged, or done anything harmful to my macbook. I've treated it with the best care so it was bizarre to me that it was my Logic Board

Issues with RAM (installed)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.