Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hacked by Bing help

My default browser is google but Im always being redirected to Bing also I have an obnoxious amount of pop up Ads non stop!

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 8:42 AM

5 replies

Jun 19, 2014 10:36 PM in response to sewnandsoldered

If none of these work, check your extensions.

Safari - Preferences - Extensions

Uninstall any extensions you don't recognize.

I had this problem too, had tried this weird uninstall mac thing and definitely had my default search engine set for Google and not Bing. Nothing was working. But then I went to my extensions and saw some weird extension with a checkbox that said Bing Search Engine. I uninstalled that extension, deleted it, and everything is back to normal!

Hope this helps!

Jun 20, 2014 2:54 AM in response to andreahopscotch

I didn't see this topic the first time around, back in March, but this is definitely a sign of adware infection. The Bing hijacking is caused by InstallMac (a variant of the Genieo adware), and the pop-up ads are caused by something else (possibly multiple something elses) that was probably installed alongside InstallMac.

andreahopscotch wrote:

If none of these work, check your extensions.

Safari - Preferences - Extensions

Uninstall any extensions you don't recognize.

Note that this is sufficient for some adware, but not for all. InstallMac/Genieo, for example, may install an extension called Omnibar, but that is the smallest part of the infection. There are many other things installed, some very deeply in your Mac, that must be removed if you don't want this junk remaining active, doing God knows what in the background.

Also, note that the InstallMac/Genieo uninstaller is known not to work. These installers do not remove all components of the adware. In fact, the InstallMac uninstaller in particular has been observed to install components that were not actually present!

Use the tool that Kevin recommended to get rid of everything.

hacked by Bing help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.