Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exported my Canon 5 mk ii footage in the wrong format in Final Cut

Hi,

So i'm making a short film shot on my Canon 5D mk ii at 30fps. I made the mistake of not converting the clips and I chose the setting "Apple Intermediate Codec" in Easy Set Up without knowing what that actually meant.

I finished editing the film, and I tried to export it with the default settings. The quality looked terrible, and I went I tried to play it back on a different computer it would say "converting" and that it cannot be played. Then I tried to export it as prores 422 1920x1080 30fps. I was able to create a decent copy that works, however I cannot put the video in my usb/disk and try it out on diffrent computers because its 10 GB.

I need to present my film in my class and 1)The file is too big and 2) I dont know if it will play back in different computers. I know that I should have converted my clips at the beginning into a more manageable format, but its too late now.

Is there any other export setting I can try to make it a decent quality and about half the size? I know that I should have not chosen "Apple intermediate Codec" at the beginning. Is there a way to convert all the clips in my movie without starting from the beginning?

Any help is appreciated!

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:39 AM

Export as H.264...that's a delivery codec. Export a self contained file...or a reference QT after you render...and take that into COMPRESSOR and use the QUICKTIME 7 STREAMING options. Use the LAN option, but change the dimensions to 1280x720.

In the future, convert your footage to ProRes before you edit. If you download the Canon EOS Log and Transfer plugin, you can do it in FCP via LOG AND TRANSFER.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2014 11:39 AM in response to rickjosuna

Export as H.264...that's a delivery codec. Export a self contained file...or a reference QT after you render...and take that into COMPRESSOR and use the QUICKTIME 7 STREAMING options. Use the LAN option, but change the dimensions to 1280x720.

In the future, convert your footage to ProRes before you edit. If you download the Canon EOS Log and Transfer plugin, you can do it in FCP via LOG AND TRANSFER.

Exported my Canon 5 mk ii footage in the wrong format in Final Cut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.