Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely long Master File Sharing/Export times (MP4)

I, too, it seems, am having extremely long Sharing times with my FCP X project(s). It's a one hour, 50 minute HD video. Nothing fancy, just a couple talking heads comprised of 7 .mov files and appx. 65 graphics and black generators as B-Roll. When I share it to a Master File as an MP4 video it takes nearly 36 hours to complete.

The Transcoding takes more than 8 hours before it gets to the export phase. I have "Create Optimized Media" and "Create Proxy Media"checked in the FCP X Prefs and have Background Rendering switched off, FWIW.

I have a 13" MacBook Pro (mid 2012) 8GB RAM, 1TB HD and running 10.9.2. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have Perian and Flip4Mac installed.

Activity Monitor shows that I'm using 6.34GB physical memory and 10.5GB Virtual Memory. The Memory Pressure graph is green. Activity Monitor shows these processes: a kernel task of 750MB, FCP using 600MB and ProTranscoder Tool using 286MB.

I've shared copies of this same video to YouTube and it took about just as long but it shared successfully.

I was just wondering if there was any way to cut down on the rendering time - which, based on what I've seen in the discussions may not really be possible on a 2-hour video. I will have another video in a week or so to finish and it's the same length. Also, I may have a couple more projects in the future (if the client likes these) that will be similar. My goal is to not have to wait days for a project export/share to be complete. Worse, as was the case today, I decided to add one more 5-second graphic and had to re-do the entire Transcode/Export process.

I looked into getting Compressor but that doesn't seem really necessary or beneficial in my case and, based on the reviews, can actually add even MORE time to the process, it seems.

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers. I'll continue to look through the discussions for info.

Rick

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 8GB RAM, 1TB HD

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:18 AM

14 replies

Mar 19, 2014 12:13 PM in response to Russ H

Sorry about that! I tried to include as much as possible but I missed the FCP version number. It's v10.1.1 (Trial)

I used a Nikon Coolpix S5200 and it saves the video as a .mov file. Those files in the QT Inspector are: AVC coding, 1920x1080 pixels, AAC Stereo, 48.000kHz, 29.7 FPS, and a data rate of ~18.00 mbits/sec

I hope that's a bit more informative!

Mar 19, 2014 1:09 PM in response to bmwtwisty

Just to double-check, you said you specified Optimize in Preferences, but when you actually did the import, did you have the Optimize option available…and did you choose it? BTW, there isn't really a need to create Proxy unless you're doing multicam projects with several video streams… or doing extremely heavy composting working with ultra HD sizes.

You mentioned processes info that you got from Activity Monitor. I would actually be concerned about RAM – whether your RAM was being depleted. 8 GB used to be a lot of RAM, but with long HD projects, not any more. 16 GB would be better for what you describe.

The best setup for speed is to have your libraries on a fast external drive – preferably a Thunderbolt connection. And as a routine practice, I would suggest quitting FCP and reopening prior to export. Also not running any unnecessary apps while it's processing.

Finally, do a test with a Pro Res Master File export setting. You don't need to export the entire time line; just select a section of about 30 minutes, If it exports in real time or less that would indicate your project is OK. (And one strategy might be to export the entire project as Pro Res and bring it into MPEG Streamclip to make your MP4.)

Russ

Mar 19, 2014 3:43 PM in response to Russ H

Since I just downloaded the trial version and started this project I'm still learning as I go. At this point, I may actually end up having to purchase FCP (which I actually REALLY like - except for the hideous export times). I used the OLD Final Cut Pro a good many years ago on a G-4 Quicksilver so this is somewhat of a re-learning experience.

When I began the project I'm trying to finish (now that I recall) I actually exported it from iMovie to FCP. That's when I needed help using the generators because I needed to cover the 16:9 video while using a 4:3 graphic. I began using this current version of FCP without initially setting or changing any preferences. So, I believe the Optimize was already toggled. I wasn't sure abut the proxy but you cleared that up for me. Thanks! I just made sure those two were toggled for this latest share/export because of something I read about maximizing (which I'm doing a lot of these days!).

The second program's .mov files I shot and began editing were imported directly into FCP and, again, I don't recall that I toggled the Optimize option. I know I was sure to copy both programs' files to their project and not keep them in place (avoiding potential file issues). I also exported that second, similar, video at one point (probably because of the issues with the first program) and it, too, took a comparable amount of time to export. It is an hour and fifteen munutes long.

Since my MBP is new, I got the (what I assumed to be)was the maximum RAM. I've since learned you can (expensively) actually upgrade it to 16GB. I'll opt for a SSD first, tho ;-)

When I get a chance after I'm finished with this current export ( which occur tomorrow sometime :-/ ) I'll try the Pro Res export and then try the MPEG Streamclip (which I have and use frequently) option.

I'm using a new Toshiba Canvio 3.0 Plus external 1.5TB (non-Thunderbolt) drive formatted Extended/Journaled/GUID partition to store my project and actually did quit FCP and restarted the MBP prior to beginning this export with no browsers running.

And, fwiw, at 6:30pm EST the project is 44% of the way through the Transcoding process.

Thanks for your help and time.

Mar 20, 2014 7:27 AM in response to bmwtwisty

I think there is a misunderstanding here. You say:

I, too, it seems, am having extremely long Sharing times with my FCP X project(s). It's a one hour, 50 minute HD video. Nothing fancy, just a couple talking heads comprised of 7 .mov files and appx. 65 graphics and black generators as B-Roll. When I share it to a Master File as an MP4 video it takes nearly 36 hours to complete.

The Transcoding takes more than 8 hours before it gets to the export phase. I have "Create Optimized Media" and "Create Proxy Media"checked in the FCP X Prefs and have Background Rendering switched off, FWIW.

Create Optimized Media and Create Proxy Media have nothing to do with export.

FCP X will not start creating optimized media when you tell it to export.

It will export using optimized media or original media already existing...

It will be transcoding to whatever you chose to export. So those 8 hours are clearly part of FCP X doing the export. The words "Transcoding..." that you see in the background tasks window may be misleading.

(In fact, transcoding means what it says, translating from one code(c) to another, and it occurs in more places than one)

It would be helpful to know what export settings you are using; perhaps show a screenshot of the export window.

Extremely long Master File Sharing/Export times (MP4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.