Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solution: Syncing with my iTunes library an endless headache: Songs don't transfer, or songs transfer and show up as "other," or I get double copies, or "Over Capacity," or stuck on "waiting for changes to be applied."

iPod Touch 5g, 64GB, iOS 7.1. After my iPod data began showing up "Other," after an abrupt disconnection from iTunes during a sync I've spent the last week trying to fix it only to be thwarted at every attempt. I've tried resetting and restoring 6 or 7 times now, and all goes well until it gets to copying my library of music over. What I finally figured out is that 8,000+ songs is too many for iTunes to process all at once for some reason.

After several nights of leaving it connected all night I would find that the songs had physically copied and were occupying the ~45 gb of space on my iPod's storage, but were not showing up on my local library, instead listed as "Other" in iTunes and otherwise unusuable, or they would show up, but I'd have ~45 gigs of "Other," 45 gigs of "Audio," and would be "Over Capacity," by 30 gigs or so. OR it would be "Waiting for Changes to be Applied," for 12+ hours.

My work around: In iTunes, under the "Music" / "Sync Music" tab, instead of syncing "Entire Music Library," select "Selected Playlists, Artists, Albums, and Genres." You will have to indivually select the playlists, artists, albums, or genres and kept each bulk tansfer to <2000 songs at a time. The easiest way for me to do this was by selecting one genre at a time and copying it over. I had already taken the time to organize my library into 10 genres, you probably have more than 10. This is irritating and time consuming, but it's better than resetting my iPod over and over and over again to no avail.

Waiting for Changes? What iTunes is actually doing when it says it is "Waiting for Changes," or "Waiting for Items to Copy." iTunes for whatever reason does not reveal the relevent data being processed during a sync (didn't it used to?), but there are a couple ways you can decipher what it is actually up to. The first option is on the iPod; under Settings>General>iTunes Wi-Fi Sync it will tell you what it is up to during syncing. The other way on the iPod; under Music>Songs, scroll all the way to the bottom to see where it is at in the process. What iTunes, iTunes Wi-Fi Sync, and the bottom of the Songs library report are not always in agreement, but seeing all three will give you a better approximation of where you are in the syncing process and whether or not it is hanging.

This for me was successful as a workaround, but this is not a solution. Apple needs to fix this crap. Maybe they just want to make it so difficult to have a physical library of music on the local storage of the iPod that we will just give up and sign up for their Match service.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:46 AM

1 reply

Solution: Syncing with my iTunes library an endless headache: Songs don't transfer, or songs transfer and show up as "other," or I get double copies, or "Over Capacity," or stuck on "waiting for changes to be applied."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.