Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini installing second hard drive SSD

Mac Forum question SATA

I want to keep my original hard drive in the Mac Mini PLUS have the SSD for my main drive. Its very cool that there is no particular hardware order. (I didnt know this at first and had completely taken my Mac Mini apart.) When you turn the MINI updside down to get in, then my original hard drive is on the bottom. But closed up and sitting on gthe desk like it should the hard drive is on the top. My issue is I purchased a second SSD SATA cable. When I went to plug in the new SSD CABLE IT WANTED TO PLUG INTO THE EXACT SAME PORT AS THE ORIGINAL ONE. I FOUND OUT THERE ARE 2 CABLES but in discriptions I see people writing this cable is for TOP drive or bottom drive. Is that upside down or closed? Any clarification of which SATA cable I need would greatly be appreciated. Remember when the unit is closed, then the drive is on top. Another way of putting it is all I have to do to install the new drive now is to just slide the new drive in (studs attached).

With the botom it will be on top of existing drive. Close the unit up, turn it over and set it on desk and the new drive is on the bottom. Sorry for being so redundant I just want to be sure. Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), I7 2.3ghz 16 gb ram SSD 240 GB 1TB

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 12:41 PM

31 replies

Mar 19, 2014 1:31 PM in response to guitarbodydotnet

guitarbodydotnet wrote:

I FOUND OUT THERE ARE 2 CABLES but in discriptions I see people writing this cable is for TOP drive or bottom drive. Is that upside down or closed? Any clarification of which SATA cable I need would greatly be appreciated.

There are 2 SATA ports on the main board. Which one is your HDD plugged into? The left or the right?

My Mac Mini 2012 came with the HDD installed in the bottom bay (under the WiFi antenna grate) and plugged into the 1st SATA port on the left. The dual drive kit I purchased from iFixit.com came with a SATA cable that plugs into the 2nd SATA port on the right. The drive occupies the top bay which is underneath the system board and is inserted into a bracket.

So, the TOP bay is the one where the drive has to be inserted into a bracket and the entire Mini parts have to be removed to get to that bracket. The BOTTOM bay is the one underneath the WiFi antenna grate and closest to the round cover that has to be removed to get inside.

Mar 19, 2014 2:04 PM in response to guitarbodydotnet

See:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

NOTE: A small number of 2012 units were shipped with the drive mounted in the upper drive bay rather than the more typical lower bay shown in this video. If you have a 2012 or later model, you will want to determine the configuration of your Mac mini's drives prior to ordering. To do this, open Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and click on the grey drive icon at the left-edge of the window. If you see "Lower" after the "Connection ID" at the bottom-left corner of the window, you may proceed using the standard installation instructions. If you see "Upper" then you have a special configuration which will need additional components, and you will need to also refer to the Addendum video.

The lower bay is the one under the wifi antenna

Mar 19, 2014 2:36 PM in response to guitarbodydotnet

If you go to "About This Mac" > System Report > SATA, it will tell you what Apple considers the bays to be. My stock drive is in the caddy directly underneath the Wi-Fi grate("Lower"), and my SSD is below when installing ("Upper").

Upper HD Flex Cable (076-1413)

Lower HD Flex Cable (076-1412)

OWC has the kits for each install location ($29.00 for standard "Upper" upgrade; a little more for the other) with the appropriate flex cable. Probably the same price for the kit here, as a cable by itself elsewhere. I used it with great success.

Summary:

Upper/Top = directly underneath Wi-Fi grate in caddy

Lower/Bottom = outside of caddy

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

Mar 19, 2014 2:46 PM in response to Ron Napier

Ron Napier said

Summary:

Upper/Top = directly underneath Wi-Fi grate in caddy

Lower/Bottom = outside of caddy

That does not agree with what OWC says and what the Mac reports. The lower is right below the antenna grate since that is the bottom of the Mini when the Mini is in its operating position. That is the top when you turn the Mini over to take it apart.

I confirmed that do day when I added an SSD to my 2012 Mini. The Mac said lower and the originally installed HD was under the wifi antenna.

Mar 19, 2014 5:56 PM in response to keg55

Boy I wouldn't know with out taking it apart again since I didn't see they were designated by the port but rather top drive bottom drive. I agree, my drive that was installed factory would be the top drive. Right under the chassis rather than under the WIFI setup. So the SATA flex cable I need is for the lower/ bottom drive which is under the wifi rig.

I did what I guess most people do, googled SATA CABLE FOR DUAL OR SECOND HARD DRIVE. Found one, bought it's d it would absolutely not plug in to the port (now I remember farthest from the power supply .

Mar 19, 2014 6:49 PM in response to Ron Napier

Ok Ron. I just went to ABOUT THIS MAC. I know for certain that my factory drive is NOT. Under the Air Port WiFi but right up against the chassis opposite the circular opening. I know for a fact my physical port is the one closest to the power supply . My Mac says Bay Name is UPPER. So that would mean the "Lower bay is the bay right under the wifi cage or the first accessible hard drive bay. I do not need to remove my logic board to put the second hard drive in. Thanks all for your help!

Mac Mini installing second hard drive SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.