Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot boot from hard drive error message

I bought Mountain Lion from the app store. I downloaded it and launched it. It began to install but when it asked what disk I wanted to install it on and I clicked my hard drive it failed with the message that I could not boot from this hard drive. So, I figured that the installer needed to be on an independent disk. So, I burned it to a DVD and ran the install program again. I got the same message. So, I plugged in an external drive, went to system preferences and set it as the startup drive. Rebooted onto the external drive. Ran the installer from the DVD and it failed at the same point. I tried selecting the external drive but it said that it was the time machine drive (which I guess was equivalent to "NO"). Anyone know how to fix this? Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 12:28 PM

5 replies

Mar 19, 2014 7:46 PM in response to baltwo

Well, LOL, I did that prior to buying the software. It does meet the specifications. I found the solution on the support site. When I googled before I hadn't googled the error message verbatim. Doing so led me to this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3926 where I was instructed to create a tiny partition (128MB) and then run the installer again. No explanation was given as to why, but this did work and I am typing this via the new OS. Thanks for trying to help me baltwo! Best regards.

Cannot boot from hard drive error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.