Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find every number in a PDF?

Hey Apple Support,

I was given the task of finding every number in a 70 page PDF document. Instead of just going through manually, would there be a way of searching for ANYTHING including a number? I don't want it to find a specific number, I want it to find every single number in the document. Is there any way this is possible? You can link any sort of software that may help with this. I also do have Acrobat Pro, so that is an option for use. Let me know what you got!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 12:55 PM

22 replies

Mar 19, 2014 5:39 PM in response to KooKilla

This Automator Workflow will find any number (including page numbers)

It will convert the PDF to a text file on the Desktop, then use grep to output a report of only the numbers found (the "o" grep option. The line number of where found will be printed the "n" grep option) and will be printed to a file named Report.txt on the Desktop

User uploaded file

The Run Shell Script Action is:

textutil -stdout -convert txt "$1" | grep -Eno  '[0-9]{1,}' > Desktop/Report.txt

If you want to see the text on the line with the number use: grep -En

Mar 20, 2014 5:56 AM in response to KooKilla

Another approach.

Using Adobe Reader (and I imagine it's true for Acrobat Pro as well):

Next to the Find field, click the dropdown triangle, then select the Open Full Reader (or perhaps Acrobat?) Search option. You'll see a new search window.

In that window, click Use Advanced Search Options. You'll see additional options pop up. Set options as follows:

Look in: The Current Document

What word or phrase . . . ? 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Return results containing: Match Any of the words

Click Search to find all the numbers.

Mar 20, 2014 11:38 AM in response to Tony T1

Beginners are often unaware of the power of many built-in features in OS X that are automatically inherited by Cocoa apps. Unfortunately, they often think 3rd party apps with blatant but over-complicated UIs are more powerful.

In part, this is due to Apple's unfortunate reluctance to provide "in your face" user documentation (after all, they claim it should all be 'intuitive') that would help you discover these things for yourself; and in part, its due to their most admirable design-choice to keep UIs as minimalist as possible.

You win some, you lose some. 😉

Mar 20, 2014 12:03 PM in response to KooKilla

KooKilla wrote:

Wow the automator workflow worked great! Would there be any way that I can organize this stuff now using Excel or Numbers or something else to create a chart? Something that will take anything that has like the number 16 and put it into a 16 category with all other lines that include that number?

Possible, but I need an example of what your output looks like (redact any sensitive data), and an example of how you would like it organized in Excel.

(Also, keep in mind that the line numbers listed in the extracted text probably will not agree to a line number in the original PDF)

Mar 20, 2014 12:07 PM in response to Tony T1

I didn't use the line number options so thats fine. An example of what i may have for data is something like "Brain Development: Research shows that the portion of the brain that assesses risk and danger does not fully develop until the mid 20’s". I would want this to be put under a "20" category with all other points that mention something about 20.

Mar 20, 2014 12:21 PM in response to KooKilla

If you want to do something like this, you're going to have to plump for a particular application and a particular format, as the specific scripting answer is going to depend on those.

Preview is, alas, not highly scriptable, and the only way you're going to get anywhere close to what you're trying to do with that app is via some dodgy and unpredictable GUI scripting. There used to be (10.6 or so ) a highly "applescriptable" pdf app called 'Skim' that would have made this easier, but I'm not sure what its development status is now. I have no knowledge of scripting Adobe Acrobat, I'm afraid.

Ideally, if possible, you'd extract this data out of pdf into rtf or even better to plain txt format. If that were possible, then sorting your data becomes a fairly standard exercise. It's whether you can either find a scriptable pdf app or get the data into a more manageable format that really determines the next move.

Find every number in a PDF?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.