Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Waiting for changes to be applied - iPhone Sync Issue

iOS: 7.1

OSX: 10.9.2

iPhone just gets stuck on "waiting for changes to be applied" when attempting to Sync.

None of the instructions regarding power cycles or restoring the phone resolve the issue.

It just won't sync.

I also had an annoying ridiculous fault where I chose manage songs manually but then it would remove the option to sync my music.

Have checked all the similar pages but this is a new fault not listed (albeit a rather pathetic reworking of an older fault and one that Apple seem to keep making).

Anyone know what's causing this (apart from the appallingly shoddy quality control at Apple these days)?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), iPhone 5 - iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 1:57 PM

31 replies

Mar 19, 2014 2:39 PM in response to ResetIDAgain

Nope, there's no problem with my iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s with IOS 7.1 and many millions others.

Try, still connected (dock cable) to computer iTunes do a reset:

Reset: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. Note: You will not lose any data

Mar 19, 2014 4:23 PM in response to ckuan

Unfortunately this patronising advice isn't much use for this issue. Mainly because it ignores the original post.

Nope, there's no problem with my iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s with IOS 7.1 and many millions others.

Try, still connected (dock cable) to computer iTunes do a reset:

Reset: Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. Note: You will not lose any data

Worth noting from the original post:

None of the instructions regarding power cycles or restoring the phone resolve the issue.

To clarify the issue is when syching over the cable. I've managed to get it to synch over WiFi. I don't want to use iTunes Match to resolve the fault as I would stil like to choose specific media I have on my phone not just have to be continually online.

This wasn't an issue before the latest version of iTunes.

If anyone has suggestions based on the orignal post (please do read it before giving advice) I'd be grateful.

Mar 19, 2014 5:49 PM in response to ResetIDAgain

It irks me too, seeing some glib suggestiong that ignores the *actual* context of the problem. ResetIDAgain, we're having exactly the same problem but my sync over WiFi did NOT work for me. So, I'd like to add a little further info:

• I too tried all the resets, power cycles, in other threads
  • same problem on my iPhone 5 (lightening connector) *and* iPhone 4 (30-pin) and respective cables
  • my cabled syncs always get stuck on Step 7 of 7
  • when syncing over WiFi, mine gets stuck on Step 6 of 6 (no Backup step over WiFi)
  • it appears that all of the changes I was trying to sync (new/updated/removed apps, added songs) got applied but Sync just never finishes and closes out the session

Really disillusioned with Apple these days, been an enthusiastic user since the really early days so I've seen my share of "teething pains" but the shoddy QA these days is just a slap in the face for all users, new and old!!

Mar 20, 2014 12:17 AM in response to Gregg Cutrell

it appears that all of the changes I was trying to sync (new/updated/removed apps, added songs) got applied but Sync just never finishes and closes out the session

As Greg describes this appears to be the problem. It's as if something at the end of the script for the sync process is failing to close it down?

After the annoying advice I had last night I tried leaving it to run and over WiFi I managed to get it to sync but the whole process took about 15 minutes just to sync over an extra 6 tracks and remove and add a couple of apps (not even large ones).

However this was the first time I've had that work for me.

As a work-around for the poor performance of iTunes & iOS I've recently installed Google Music Player which works very well with iPhone & Mac and is a good way to resolve this sync issue. Also it helps you migrate from Apple to Android (although I really don't want to go back to PC laptops despite the huge cost saving).

It takes a few hours to upload over a good connection; if you have a lot of music but once done is (unlike iTunes and iOS right now) very easy to Sync and seems quite reliable.

If anyone has a fix this will be incredibly useful as it not only impacts me but the customers that I support in my job. Many of whom like myself appear to be losing faith in Apple's commitment to quality.

Mar 20, 2014 6:45 AM in response to ResetIDAgain

ResetIDAgain wrote:

As Greg describes this appears to be the problem. It's as if something at the end of the script for the sync process is failing to close it down?

Seems to be RESOLVED on my end.

On the theory that the process was not closing down, I left mine running for several hours while I worked in the yard. When I came in it had finished (no idea how long it took, but I was away from it for 2+ hours).

Just to check it out, I transferred one mid-sized app tot my iPhone 5 using a cable and it synced in the 10-20 sec kind of time I'm used to AND it finished normally. Did a few other music, app, video transfers and they are all running the the same old "fairly quick" times that I am used to seeing. i've done about 20 subsequqnt syncs over cable and WiFi; all have been back in the normal time ranges for what I'm doing.

So ... I suspect there is some kind of data or file restructuring or cataloging that needs to be done on iOS 7.1 and iTunes was pretty terrible about letting us know that was going to be a longer than normal process on the first pass.

I shoud add that I have a 64GB device and it's pretty well loaded up with a mix of large and small apps, app data, 6800+ songs, and video content. So any kind of cataloging or restructuring was bound to take some time ... a little "heads up" would have been nice Apple.

Mar 20, 2014 8:16 AM in response to Gregg Cutrell

Thanks Gregg!

Yeah based on my testing too it does appear that after an hour or so the sync does complete.

I also have an iphone 5 64Gb and I wonder if Apple's testing has been only on 16GB devices?

I think the issue appears to be that for some reason the end of process cataloging on the device is taking a lot longer and they don't notify that is what is happening.

To be blunt about it though I think it's pretty poor that even a 64GB device takes *hours* rather than minutes to sync.

Am going to switch to WiFi Sync now as that can at least happen in the background.

Mar 20, 2014 8:27 AM in response to ResetIDAgain

I am having the same problem.

OS X Mountain Lion (version 10.8)

iTunes 11.1.5

iPhone 4S, 64gb, IOS 7.1

It always hangs on Step 5 of 5 Waiting for changes to be applied. NONE of the changes I was trying to apply get synced. I'm just in limbo.

My wife's iPhone 4S, 32gb (ios 7.1) syncs without issue.

I've tried resetting (Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time) with no luck.

I haven't tried a reset with my iPhone connected though, I'll attempt that tonight. If that doesn't work I'll let it go over night. But this doesn't seem promising.

I really do not want to resort to wiping my phone clean to try to fix the problem. And as ResetIDAgain already stated that didn't work for him. So, if I don't have any luck tonight I guess I have to wait for Apple to release an update to fix the issue. It's very frustrating because I feel Apple has been very slow to address and/ or fix any issues their customers have been having lately - so who knows how long I will not be able to synch anything new to my iPhone.

Apr 17, 2014 3:36 AM in response to ResetIDAgain

😠 You aint the only one with the problem ReserIDAgain, this problem frustrates me to the point where i wished i never updated to ios7. I had an iphone 5 in that version and it worked fine, bought my iphone 5S on octuber and ever since then non of my tracks would sync and would get stuck there. I blame the new itunes and ios7, these idiot developers/programers is whats making Apple sink down the *******. Im fed up with this and im considering not buying anymore Apple products till I see a fix.

APPLE YOU SEE THESE POSTS. DO SOMETHING YOU STUPID NERDS

Waiting for changes to be applied - iPhone Sync Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.