Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi..i'm in Ireland and I want to buy a Macbook Air - the 11 inch starter is $799 if you live in the US and €1049 or $1450 if you live in Ireland - thats $651 more if you live in Ireland....can anyone explain this and how I can buy for a reasonable price?

Hi..i want to buy an airbook for my wife and when I saw that the price in Ireland is €1049, I had a look at the US price and it's $799 for the starter 11in model - thats $650 more than in the US. Can anyone explain why this is and how I can buy one for a reasonable price ? Can anyone tell me where the unit is made ? I believe it is China but I'd be grateful for confirmation. Thanks.

MacBook Air, reasonable price

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 3:08 PM

8 replies

Mar 20, 2014 4:29 AM in response to carl wolf

You are correct Carl and thanks for replying - thought I had taken the 799 from the US website but it is clearly 999 - this reduced the uplift from $651 to $451 - and I see that in NY for example, taxes are of the order of $80 which takes it down to approx $371....as noted by Kappy no doubt our government takes a slice of this difference.

Mar 20, 2014 9:37 AM in response to Mark L W

Apple does not determine prices in other countries. Those prices are determined by factors outside of Apple's control. in the US the advertised price does not include sales tax. But other countries require that the advertised price be inclusive of VAT, so that will be dependent upon what the VAT is in each country. Exchange rates and import fees will then also impact on the advertised price.

Apple isn't in the business of ripping off buyers because they aren't US residents. That would be a pretty silly way of conducting business worldwide. You don't attract customers by making them feel cheated. 🙂

Hi..i'm in Ireland and I want to buy a Macbook Air - the 11 inch starter is $799 if you live in the US and €1049 or $1450 if you live in Ireland - thats $651 more if you live in Ireland....can anyone explain this and how I can buy for a reasonable price?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.