Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i make contact groups on my iphone

I understand that in order to make groups within your contacts you must do it in icloud. I have backed up to icloud but some of my contacts are linked with my work account on outlook for some reason, (I did not create them on outlook, they were just added on my phone and linked to that account). Now I cannot add my work account to my home computer to sync them up is there a way to create groups another way or unlink the contacts from my outlook account to my gmail account??

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 8:19 PM

If some of your contacts belong to an external account, such as your work exchange account, they will not sync with iCloud. iCloud only syncs contacts that belong to the iCloud account. If you want to sync your exchange contacts with iCloud I you would have to copy these contacts to the iCloud account. If you want to do this reply back and I can explain how.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2014 8:19 PM in response to Heath86

If some of your contacts belong to an external account, such as your work exchange account, they will not sync with iCloud. iCloud only syncs contacts that belong to the iCloud account. If you want to sync your exchange contacts with iCloud I you would have to copy these contacts to the iCloud account. If you want to do this reply back and I can explain how.

Mar 19, 2014 8:39 PM in response to Heath86

Once they are in your iCloud account, they will sync with all your devices/computer sycing contacts with your iCloud account.

Also, the contacts you copy to your iCloud will not sync with your exchange account. If any changes occur in your exchange account contacts you will have to manually make these changes in your iCloud account. If, for example, a new contact was added to your exchange account, you would have to manually add this to your iCloud account. It wouldn't be added automatically as iCloud cannot sync with external account.

If you still want to copy your exchange contacts to iCloud, do the following:

1. Go to Settings>iCloud, turn Contacts to Off, choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (any iCloud contacts will still be in iCloud).
  2. Download the app My Contacts Backup. (If you have more than 500 contacts to transfer from your exchange account you will need the “Pro” version. If you aren't sure, start with the free app. It will tell you if you have more than 500 contact when you use it.) Use the app to back up the remaining contacts on your phone (from your exchange account) as a vCard attachment to an email that you send to yourself. Confirm that you have received the email.
  3. Go to Settings>iCloud and turn Contacts back to On.
  4. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars>Default Account (in the Contacts section) and set this to iCloud.
  5. Go to Settings>Mail,Contacts,Calendars…tap your exchange account and turn off contacts syncing with with your exchange account (otherwise you will see duplicate contacts on your device).*
  6. Open the My Contacts Backup email and tap the attachment to import the exchange account contacts back to your phone, and to iCloud. All your contacts should now be in iCloud, and appear on icloud.com and your other devices/computers.

* If you don't want to turn off contact syncing with your exchange acocunt, you will need to open the contacts app and tap Groups, then tap the exchange account so it is unchecked. This will hide them from view so you don't see duplicate contacts on your phone.

how can i make contact groups on my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.