Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iBook G3 screen will go black after start up.

My iBook G3 Clamshell origianl, and the screen will come on on start up then after it fully boots up it will go black. Every time I hit the keyboard or power button the screen comes on for a few seconds then turn off again. I have the green light under the apple logo is flashing. I don't know much about old Apple products (yet), but I am willing to learn just please help.

iBook, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 9:08 PM

7 replies

Mar 20, 2014 8:01 PM in response to kendtimo

Hi,

I guess that you carried out all the eight steps (that is, not only pressed the reset button).

Sometimes, a bad battery can put a heavy load on the power supply. One may want to try starting a laptop without a battery in place, as a test (I do not know if that would change anything in this case, though).

You may also want to check whether the connection between the low-voltage plug from the power adapter and the DC jack in the computer appears to be stable (it is not unusual to find DC-in connectors with pins that have to be resoldered).

Jan

Mar 21, 2014 9:34 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Addendum

Similar problems are mentioned in the following article (about a white iBook G3):

http://listserver.themacintoshguy.com/pipermail/iBook/2004-August/010663.html

I do not know whether the Clamshell iBook G3 has a reed switch or a solid-state (Hall effect) sensor, but the principle would be the same. Also, the article below appears to indicate that the magnet and sensor positions are completely different from a white iBook.

http://mrob.com/pub/ibook.html

Disassembly of a Clamshell iBook G3 is not easy, but guides at (for example) powerbookmedic.com and ifixit.com could possibly be of help.

Jan

My iBook G3 screen will go black after start up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.