Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes not moving past "preparing to update" while manually dragging and dropping music files

Hello there. I recently updated my iPhone to iOS 7.1. After the update, I noticed that I cannot transfer music to my phone by dragging and dropping. I though it may help if I upgrade my iTunes to the latest available version from the Apple website. That didn't help either. When I go to the "Apps" tab and drag and drop anything from the Windows Explorer to the apps, it gets added. It's only getting stuck at "Preparing to Update" when I add music from within iTunes library. If I disconnect during this sync and reconnect later, the songs do no appear in the phone but appear in the "on this iphone" tab as grey colored and cannot be played.

Any help wuld be appreciated.

Thanks. LD.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1, iTunes installed on Windows 7

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 1:08 AM

7 replies

Mar 22, 2014 5:56 AM in response to LeperDog

I'm using a 4th generation ipod touch with iOS 6 on it, and have been having a similar problem. Whenever I drag music into the ipod on itunes, it says "preparing to update" for a few seconds, but then stops as if nothing happened. What also doesn't make sense is that the "manually manage" box that every other solution I've searched for says should be checked is already checked, so I'm completely out of options.

Sep 9, 2014 12:08 PM in response to LeperDog

Having exactly the same problem. Spoke to a guy on apple chat, all he could suggest was wiping my phone and then starting all over again ... very unhelpful. Eventually (and reluctantly) I did this and from then on drag and drop worked .... for about 2 months. Now I am back to the square one. This is such a frustrating issue, and the lack of response from apple only serves to anger me even more. Surely there must be a way around this! Sort it out apple!

Nov 6, 2014 12:39 AM in response to LeperDog

I encounter the same problem a few times each year. iPhone 5s, iOS 8 current update, running newest version of iTunes on a PC. Drag and drop will work perfectly for a couple of months and then all of a sudden this problem occurs. My typical routine involved resetting the iphone to factory settings but this time it did not help. Frustrated and out of options, I found this thread. One user suggested turning off the passcode, so I turned off fingerprint and passcode and the drag and drop is working again.

Apr 17, 2015 1:45 PM in response to LeperDog

I have the same problem than you guys and I can fixed it just deleting the ebooks that I had on my device. I deleted them from iTunes on the device books list in my iphone. Presumibly some epub file was either corrupted or broken. I've got the idea and the possible reason from "twerppoet" at http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/help-my-itunes-are-taking-forever-to-update-fi les-on-ipad-when-i-transfer-ebooks.60436…

Hope that helps.

Itunes not moving past "preparing to update" while manually dragging and dropping music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.