Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing MacBook Pro HDD - advice wanted

I have ordered a replacement HDD for my mid 2009 MacBook Pro, as my original hdd is completely screwed but all I have is office for mac and the install disk for my broadband. Assuming the hdd is formatted already, should I:

1. Get OSX (I had mountain lion) disks, or download via broadband?

2. I know the download is free but the upgrade from Lion took fooreevveerr to download, plus I'm not sure how the process for putting the broadband on a fresh, new, clean hdd goes.

3. I shall be making use of time machine once I get everything up and running, but I can also create a boot recovery disk too, yes?

Please weigh in with any advice, taking into account I know a couple of things but am basically a newbie (or idiot savant).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 4:20 AM

11 replies

Mar 20, 2014 4:42 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Ah. My old hdd does not boot, its just a grey screen and weird clicks and grinding from the drive. I have a 13" MacBook Pro, mid 2009. It came preloaded with OS Lion and I upgraded as far as Mountain Lion. What are your thoughts on how I get my laptop up and running?

I have asked the same questions of the seller of the hdd so they may have a solution also.

Mar 20, 2014 5:06 AM in response to dmv501

So you don't have a set of the original gray discs that came with the machine? That makes things very difficult (I'm assuming, since you say that your had Lion on it when you received the machine, that you purchased it second-hand?).

There's no way to get around it - you need the set of discs that originally shipped with your machine. You can get a set from Apple by calling them, with your serial number handy, and order a set.

After you get the discs, you'll boot from disc one and use Disk Utility to format the new drive ("Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"). Then install the system that came with the machine. Another unfortunate thing is that your machine shipped with OS X 10.5.7 - so you'll not be able to upgrade to Lion again without first upgrading to Snow Leopard - another $20.

The only way to get around all of this is to use a friends Mac - and your Apple ID - to download Lion (if you purchased it with your Apple ID) and use a 8GB+ USB flash drive to create a bootable installation drive using DiskMaker X. If you didn't use your Apple ID to purchase Lion or Mountain Lion, you'll have to buy one or the other using your Apple ID from the online Apple Store and you'll recieve a redemption code to download them from the Mac App Store. You could always download Mavericks free - using your Apple ID - and use DiskMaker X to install it, but I don't know that the software that you have will work with Mavericks.

You're in a real pickle, really. You don't have a lot of options without the original discs.

Let me know if this makes sense...

Clinton

Mar 20, 2014 9:04 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

It was bought in 2009 and no I have no grey disks.

So, to summarise, I need to order the original disks and then upgrade via snow leopard to Lion and/or Mountain Lion and then Mavericks? OR it is orig. discs/snow leopard and jump to Mavericks?

So the fact that this machine has had Lion and Mountain Lion on it makes no difference? If I had the orig. discs could I attempt to repair the current hdd and then transfer what I need to an external drive to set up the new hdd?

I have info from the hdd sellers on partitioning the disc, presumably that will make no difference to your chain of installation and upgrades?

Mar 20, 2014 9:13 AM in response to dmv501

After you've upgraded to Snow Leopard, then you can directly upgrade (for free) to Mavericks. No need for Lion or Mountain Lion (unless one of those are what you want to run). Unfortunately, the original owners Apple ID is tied to Lion, so you won't be able to download it without paying for it. The least expensive route is to get the original disks (have to call Apple w/serial number - about $20 + shipping & taxes) and then purchase Snow Leopard from the online Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard) and THEN you can upgrade to Mavericks.

This will be a completely clean installation. Backup your user data to an external. No need to partition the new drive - OS X will take care of the partitions needed (unless you just want to partition the drive for some reason - I wouldn't if you've no particular need).

Good luck,

Clinton

Mar 20, 2014 11:23 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Okay, awkward confession time - `I have found the original grey disks with my office for mac disk. Many apologies :)

I have tried disk one in the machine but it keeps ejecting it. I insert as it sets up, pressing 'C', yes?

Okay, Clinton many thanks for your help, really appreciate it. To recap, assuming no joy with the old hdd and utilities, I install the new 1TB HDD, install via grey disk one, pay for and download Snow Leopard and then either download Mountain Lion or Mavericks for free (as I did get ML via my Apple I.D.)? If that's the case I should look at Mavericks and see whats new and decide if I want to go that far. From what I remember the big change was to email, right?

So, once I'm up and running, I need a 1TB external drive so I can set up Time Machine (and, hopefully avoid all this fuss), yes?. Do I need to also create a fresh utilities/recovery disk or will the original grey disk one be fine?

Mar 20, 2014 11:33 AM in response to dmv501

Yes, either holding down the C key (or even the option key, allowing you to choose the disc) should boot the machine from disc one. Do you have a friend or other access to a external optical drive? It may be a problem with your drive or the disc may be damaged. It would be unusual for the disc to be damaged, though, as they are generally so seldom used.

So the first order of business is getting the disc to mount, formatting the hard drive and installing 10.5.7 on your machine. Snow Leopard will ship as physical media - not available for download. As Mavericks incorporates all of the features of Lion and Mountain Lion (plus a couple of hundred of other changes) and as it handles RAM much better than either of the previous versions, I would just go ahead and upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mavericks; getting everything in one kit that has numerous enhancements for notebooks, in particular.

But you must get that first disc working. You may want to try using one of those inexpensive CD/DVD cleaner kits just to make sure that your optical disc lens is good and clean.

Clinton

Mar 20, 2014 12:07 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I will get one of the cleaning kits just in case. The install disk looks clean and fine and of course has only been used the once. I have checked out Apple and SL is only £14 including shipping, so that will be ordered. Right now I have to wait for everything to arrive but I will update you as I go. Thanks once again for your help on this :)

As a side note, do you know how I can keep signed in to apple discussions via safari on my iPad2? Every time I have replied to you I have had to sign in again.

Mar 25, 2014 10:38 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Clinton, a side note, not an update.

When I was talking to the hdd provider, he had me check my install disks that came with the MacBook Pro. Turns out, too late for me, that the disks are 10.6, not 10.5.7. According to the supplier a fair few are 10.6 (Snow Leopard), so if you come across this issue again, have your idiot savant (me) check the left hand side of the install disk for the OS number. I had already ordered Snow Leopard so I'm out £18. Anyway, the plan is now to upgrade to 10.6.8 when the hdd drive arrives, which means I can then go straight to Mavericks as a download.

Apr 1, 2014 8:59 AM in response to dmv501

Okay all, I know you've been on the edge of your seats wanting to know how it has all gone. I have managed to install the hdd and battery AND cleaned up the inside of the machine ( for anyone who has never opened their laptop since buying it, I would recommend both opening and cleaning. I used a small paint brush, a hairdryer on low and cool setting and patience. I might invest in a keyboard or office vacuum. Snow Leopard arrived today so I installed (big phew! as for a while I thought the superdrive might be damaged. Turned out it was the original disk that was scratched). Currently I am in the midst of a software upgrade, hoping that will cover me up to 10.6.8 - if not I shall be checking back as I couldn't find the upgrade on Apple. From there I go to Mavericks.

Replacing MacBook Pro HDD - advice wanted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.