Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help! - potentially downloaded a virus/trojan?

Recently I have been receiving loads of emails offering tax refunds etc (yes, naive I know.)

I opened these emails to read them, and was sent links to download different files.

Fortunately my macbook prevented me from opening these files, so I googled them and found they are the latest emails to carry something I have no idea about - trojan?

Although I havn't downloaded anything I am still concerned, can someone please give me more information on these trojan things, and is there a way of checking my macbook for any harmful problems?

I have had my macbook for around 5 years and still am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks!

MacBook Air (Late 2008)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 6:48 AM

Panic not! 🙂

If you didn't install anything you have not been 'infected'. In any case nearly all such phoney emails are targeting Windows users, either as a phishing attempt or trying to sell them duff software. Most unlikely anything they offer would actually run on a Mac.

You may find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful: The User Tip seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

More useful information can also be found here:

www.thesafemac.com/mmg

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2014 6:48 AM in response to acfraser

Panic not! 🙂

If you didn't install anything you have not been 'infected'. In any case nearly all such phoney emails are targeting Windows users, either as a phishing attempt or trying to sell them duff software. Most unlikely anything they offer would actually run on a Mac.

You may find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful: The User Tip seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

More useful information can also be found here:

www.thesafemac.com/mmg

Need help! - potentially downloaded a virus/trojan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.