Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open Aperture Library

I am once again experiencing problems with my Aperture Library which is stored in an external hard disk.

Keep getting an error "1712" and message saying that application can not be opened.

Have tried to repair by holding down the command and option key while double clicking in the library but still no success! :-(

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 8:46 AM

18 replies

Mar 20, 2014 9:20 AM in response to Fern1

What is the exact error message? Does it mention a time out?

Can you launch Aperture, if you hold down the options-key while double-clicking the application and opting to create a new Aperture library? This would tell us, if it is aproblem with your current library or a more general problem with Aperture.

Mar 31, 2014 9:21 AM in response to Fern1

Have tried to move my Aperture Library from the other ext drive by dragging it across, but unable to do so. Can you point me at the right direction for this?

What happens when you try? Do you you get an error message "Some items cannot be copied" or similar? Then you new drive is probably not formatted correctly as MacOS Extended (Journaled). Backup any items you moved to the drive and reformat it:

See Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

Apr 11, 2014 12:49 AM in response to léonie

I have reformatted the drive to Mac format and tried dragging my Aperture library. After waiting a long time, I got a message saying that the operation could not be completed. I then tried to do the same thing but dragging the masters instead.

And this was the message I got after a few minutes:

"The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "MG_3968.psd" can't be read or written.

(Error code - 36)

Apr 11, 2014 3:08 AM in response to Fern1

Remove the file "MG_3968.psd" from the Masters folder and try again.

If it still fails, try to copy in small installments:

• Create a folder on the drive, where you want to copy your Aperture library to.
  • Then copy the contents of the library over one by one, each folder separately, and also the contents of the Masters folder by copying the yearly and monthly subfolders separately. This way you will see, where the items are, that cannot be copied.

Also, ensure that the "ignore ownership on this volume" flag is set on both volumes - the original volme you are copying from and the volume you are copying to. You set this flag in the "file > Get Info" panel for the drive.

User uploaded file

When you copied all parts of the library, that can be copied, rename the folder to "xxxxApertureLibrary.aplibrary" or similar and try to open it again in Aperture.

Unable to open Aperture Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.