Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change country of Apple ID without losing apps?

I am about to move from the UK to the US and so will need to change the country of my Apple ID. I've already found the kbase article on how to do this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6119?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

but it contains the following sentence:

"After you change the country of your account, you won't see the items you purchased from the previous country’s store in the Purchased section."

Does this mean I will lose all my apps? I've got some very expensive apps (for example, Final Cut Pro X) that I do not want to lose.

Or does it just mean that I will only lose apps unavailable in the US store? (Such as iPlayer.) I'd be OK with that.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 9:28 AM

6 replies

Mar 20, 2014 9:56 AM in response to Mwongozi

It means that you won't be able to redownload them from the store. As well as being tied to the account, content is also tied to the country that they were downloaded in, so you won't be able to redownload any of your UK purchases unless you are here in the UK with a UK billing address on your account. No content will be deleted from your computer, or from your backup of your downloads, you just won't be able to redownload them.

Oct 21, 2016 4:08 AM in response to KristiaRen

I feel your pain. I really think this issue needs more attention! It seems ridiculous since the user account hasn't changed, and the item was ALREADY purchased under conditions that satisfy the original country. I suppose Apple will continue to ignore this issue unless we raise awareness. So, if you kept your original apple ID but had to change billing details to a new country and you can no longer access your Mac OS X apps for download, please comment here! There are workarounds for apps of mobile devices, but none for Mac OS X apps.

Apple this unfair business practice!

Change country of Apple ID without losing apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.