Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mavericks

Should I Download this program?

Scores out of 10?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 10:17 AM

10 replies

Mar 20, 2014 10:44 AM in response to markfrompulborough

There are controversies about every OS X upgrade. I use Mavericks on all of my computers, and it works fine for me. Here are three safe ways to give it a try.

1. If you make a clone of your current system onto an external drive, then if you find you don't like it you can just wipe the drive and restore your clone.
  2. You can create a second partition on your hard drive (no Boot Camp) and install it onto the second partition. Use it for a while. If you don't like it you can just remove the partition.
  3. Install it on an external drive and boot from the external drive in order to test it out.

Mar 20, 2014 10:45 AM in response to markfrompulborough

from what we see, you have OS 10.7

OS is for "operating system", that is the whole "machine" that manages your computer.

Now you can UPDATE your system by downloading the appropriate data, but your system will still be the 10.7 version .

"Mavericks" is the name of version 10.9, and if you wish to download this version, you will be UPGRADING your system to OS 10.9, which is a much "longer jump" than an updating.

A "longer jump" means a "riskier" jump. That's why you'll always see the cautionary " backup before! ".

That's also why rkaufmann wisely asks: does this newer version have something that you really want, or need.

Last word of caution: some "peripherics" ( printer, scanner, etc ) might not work with the new version.

This can sometimes be solved by updating the periph's software on their own site ( Epson, Canon, etc. ) but be aware it's not always possible.

Mar 20, 2014 11:49 AM in response to markfrompulborough

markfrompulborough wrote:

Wise, I think I'll give this a wide birth!

Like Kappy I use Mavericks on all my Macs and it works flawlessly. As he mentioned every time an OS is updated there is controversy. Most issues that occur have nothnig to due with the update itself but the poor condition of the machine prior to the update, mostly because the customer hasn't adequately prepared. It's kind of like blaming a car manufacturerer that your new car doesn't fit in your garage, is it the car manufacturers fault you didn't bother to prepare for that?

OS X Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.