Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM & Logic Board Replaced Multiple Times, Still Beeping 3 Times

Hello! I am new to this community, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area.

To begin, I purchased my macbook pro in July of 2011. It has been running perfect until about a month ago. I was on safari, and it froze and began beeping 3 times. I restarted it several times and the same thing happened over and over again. After calling Apple support, I realized it was a RAM issue. So, I decided before I took it to Apple, I would puchase 8 gb of RAM to upgrade from the 4 it currently had. I bought 2 sticks of 4 gb memory and Appke installed it. It worked for a weekend, and on Sunday night I turned my computer off for the first time. When I turned it on, the beeping and freezing returned. Next, I took it back to Apple a few days later and ordered Crucial memory (2 sticks of 4 gb). I took it in and Apple decided that the Logic Board was the problem also... So, they replaced the logic board, and installed the new Crucial RAM. It worked for 2 weeks, and then I turned it off (not for the first time since having the new logic board and crucial RAM) and it began beeping and froze the next time I turned it on. Took it back to Apple, and they are telling me it is the Crucial RAM and that they are bad sticks, although it worked fine for 2 weeks with that RAM. My questions are:

Should I just take it back with original memory and let them replace it back to 4 gb (2 sticks of 2 gb)?

What else could be causing all of this?

I also noticed, in two weeks it was working, that it would get very hot and the fans would be going full force. All I had open at the time: Netflix on Safari and finder.

I am begging for help, this has been a nightmare.

Thanks so much!!

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 11:29 AM

What happens when you install the original RAM?

(I am surprised that Apple was willing to install the RAM modules you purchased. Usually one has to buy RAM from them in order to have them install it.)

MmB2 wrote:

I also noticed, in two weeks it was working, that it would get very hot and the fans would be going full force. All I had open at the time: Netflix on Safari and finder.

Reset the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

If there is no change, Post an image of Activity Monitor set to ALL PROCESSES and % CPU to display values from high to low.

Ciao.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2014 11:29 AM in response to MmB2

What happens when you install the original RAM?

(I am surprised that Apple was willing to install the RAM modules you purchased. Usually one has to buy RAM from them in order to have them install it.)

MmB2 wrote:

Reset the SMC:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

If there is no change, Post an image of Activity Monitor set to ALL PROCESSES and % CPU to display values from high to low.

Ciao.

Mar 20, 2014 11:34 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Okay, I will try that. I wanted to purchase the RAM from them, but they said they could only replace the original RAM, not upgrade it, even if I payed for it, because it is under warranty. Thanks so much for replying! I also have not kepy the software up to date, do you think that could have anything to do with it? I am embarrased to say I have never updated it. I know, thats bad.

Mar 20, 2014 11:38 AM in response to MmB2

I seriously doubt that the problem is with the Crucial RAM (unless you purchased RAM that is not compatible with your machine). That's just something for Apple to blame.

Go ahead and let them put the old memory back in and if it continues to fail you'l know for certain that it's not a problem with the Crucial sticks. If they need to replace the logic board again, so be it. But since you were having problems with the original sticks, too, I don't see how you could have a fault with two logic boards and two sets of RAM. Something else is amiss, but a logic board rpelacement is about as deep as Apple can go as they don't make chip-level repairs.

Good luck,

Clinton

Mar 20, 2014 11:42 AM in response to MmB2

I am assuming you have a early 2011 MBP. I do not know the model or what OSX you have installed. You do not need to have Mavericks installed, but which ever OSX you have should be updated to it's latest version.

Ciao.

Also run an Apple Hardware Test to see if that picks up any useful information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Message was edited by: OGELTHORPE

RAM & Logic Board Replaced Multiple Times, Still Beeping 3 Times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.